Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to improve fork stiffness

Hello,
    How to improve fork stiffness on my 1000 G? I think it is too weak, IS there better springs I could buy?
    Olivier

You can add PVC spacers above the springs to get the preload where you want it. Just be sure to use a fender washer close to the size of the inner diameter of the upper tubes between the spacer and the springs.

Comment

There isn't a preload adjustment on these old forks? Shows how dated they are. Was the air pressure meant to be a type of preload? I don't remember if the 100's had air pressure adjustments or not - I know the 1100's did.

Comment

There is a preload adjsutment but I am already at the maximum preload...

Comment

Preload does not make up for having the wrong rate springs in forks. Some older forks had soft springs that did not last. A new set of springs at the right spring rate should make a big difference.

Air forks, as on my 78 GS1000 supplemented the springs. By varying the fork oil height and air pressure a different rising spring rate can be achieved. Works ok for me! Who needs preload adjustment!

Comment

my 1100e with original fork springs was sitting down to the fork seals untill i installed progressive springs. no air now either.

Comment

Working...
            X