Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will lowering make better performance

Hi

Will lowering a GS550 get you better performance when it comes to how it handles?

Thanks

Erik

I suppose it would depend on how much it was lowered. You can quicken the steering by raising the fork tubes several mm, but I wouldn't do it unless your bike seems to steer too slowly for the type of riding you do. In my opinion, keeping a motorcycle well maintained would be the best way to make it handle better, as in a set of modern shocks and fork springs,quality tires and proper inflation and regular fork oil changes. I don't suppose a little bit shorter shocks would hurt, but don't get too radical. Personally I'm not a big believer in messing with frame geometry.

Comment

Lowering your bike can improve your performance, IF that means improving its acceleration (ie reduced ETs). The closer your center of gravity is to the height of the rear axle, the less prone the bike is to wheelie. Hence you reduce the weight transfer and can launch it harder, until traction becomes a limiting factor. Keep in mind this applies only to straight line performance. If considering total performance (ie accelerating, braking and turning) there are many more variables to contend with. Sometimes it seems that the more you learn, the less you realize you know. Have fun.

Comment

Lowering the bike will change the steering geometry and the cornering clearance, thus the only improvement will be for drag racing. Cornering performance will be dramatically worsened.

Comment

Working...
        X