Whats lighter? Mags or Spoked wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats lighter? Mags or Spoked wheels.

In the quest to shave as much weight as possible from my bike im thinking of different wheels. Are the 750E mag wheels lighter than the spoked wheels?

Also has anyone had any luck in removing a considerable amount of weight from thier bike? Ive removed some things and lost 11lbs so far but i would like to loose at least 30.

_M

Try Jenny Craig

Comment

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

I don't know that there is actually much difference in weight between factory mags versus spoked wheels. I think if you are looking for a significant weight savings you need to consider an aftermarket wheel. Performance Machine, RC wheels, Marvic, Dymag, OZ all have significant weight savings over stock, however this savinga definitely comes at a cost. Steeper with some than others.
        Doze.

Comment

One of the quickest ways to ditch weight is to get rid of the centre stand. And if your 750 is older than 1979 you could always get rid of the electric starter and just kick it. Drill lightening holes in all non structural brakcets... fork ears, battery box, fuse panel backer plate, etc.

Comment

The stock exhausts are heavy also

Comment

Absolutely Scotty... Stock exhaust = very heavy

Again depending on the year, replacing the heavy metal front fender or even cutting it down will help. Stock air box is heavy compared to K&N's.

Comment

If you are just racing and not street riding, those turn signals and headlight and bucket can go...
                GY

Comment

This is a street bike so ill need all the lights. Ive already got rid of the exhaust im replacing it with a v&h system. Does any of the gs fenders fit. I was looking at the 1100 plastic front fenders.

Comment

I think that spoked wheels would be lighter (don't see any motocross bikes running mags). But then I'm not sure the savings would be worth the expense.

Comment

From the motocross standpoint are the spoked wheels used because they are lighter...or because they are stronger and more durable?

Almost all "on road" motorcycle races and automotive races use alloy wheels...I would say they are lighter in general.

Comment

If you can find wheels wide enough to mount radials you will realize the most weight savings. Even though radials are wider they weigh alot less than a smaller bias ply tire. They don't have the high profiles and much less material is needed for the belts than all the criss-cross winding of a bias ply tire.

Trying to find a way to use them is often a challenge. The rear usually only requires switching bearings, bearing support in the wheel hub, and spacers. You will likely need to extend the bearing support to make it the same length as the piece from the donor bike. Just cut a piece of pipe the right inner diameter to make up the extra length needed. You can bond it to the GS support with some J-B Weld. You also need a caliper hanger and caliper to make it work. I found that a caliper hanger from a 600 Katana has the right axle dimension for my '85 700 and allows the use of a Gixxer caliper. The caliper will hang under the swingarm instead of over. You have to move the caliper torque arm to the bottom of the swingarm.

The front is easy if you want to commit to a whole new (used) front end. It's tough to adapt a bigger wheel up front with the stock front end. It's not as easy as knocking out bearings and replacing them. There are so many things to adapt it is easier, and probably cheaper unless you can machine your own stuff, to replace the whole front end. As long as your front end has tapered bearings you should be able to use Gixxer parts.

Comment

Many of my GS1000 bracket bikes were converted from OEM mags to OEM spokes just because I had them around and it was an easy change, i.e. no modifications required (same disc, spacers, sprocket, etc.). OEM spokes are about 40% lighter than OEM mags. Also this allowed me to go to a wider rim and 18" diameter for the slicks of the day. Aftermarket wheels are lighter yet, but can be pricey. OEM spokes are pretty cheap and not too difficult to find.

Use an 82-83 GS1100 fender (lighter than the steel) and only one front disc rotor instead of two. Good luck.

Comment

light weight fenders

Try Maier plastics for a light weight fender. They have several that will work and are pretty much a bolt up deal. You can find them at : www.maier-mfg.com
                            Doze.

Comment

Massakins:
                              Is the 18" outer rim a standard part or do you just relace the wheel with a bigger one? My 1100 has a cast 17" on it but I'd like to get a spoked wheel which is also 17" for 81. The front is a 19" but I don't think I can go any bigger due to having a fork brace.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X