Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Handle Bars

I have an 1982 850L

I think it was manufactured with fairing and luggage.

Did Suzuki manufacture with the Touring Kit or were these aftermarket??
    Mine was a vetter. (I'll be posting to sell the fairing soon.)

Anyway to the point.
    Having taken the fairing off I am wondering about my handle bars.

I think I want to lean forward more now to lean into the wind.

Did the bikes with fairings have different bars?

What should I look for when searching for the new bars?
    Should I have any concerns about performance when I change the bars?

You may want different bars

I think alot of the tour kits in the 70's,80's bikes were out-source to like Vetter,Pacifico,etc. A lot of guys would run higher bars on the tour bikes. You may be more comfortable reaching out to the bar a little more. I had a set of Bandit 1200 bars on mine, just switched to a set of Renthal Fat bars w/Tag Metals adapters. Looks great. If you have extended cables for a higher bar than stock, be careful of routing them so they don't bind or kink if you do change to a lower bar. Good Luck[/b]

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      I think my current bars are stock.
      I had not even considered the hoses/cables when thinking about this project.

Comment

Most handle bars are the same diamater and will mount up fine... I've swapped handle bars on most of my bikes.. and as long as the cables and hoses don't get pinched etc.. You'll be fine. I have a 79 GS850 and the stock handle bars are tall (boring).. I found a lower set and now it's much more fun.. I think they're from a Kawasaki 500 two stroke.. but what bike they're from isn't very important.. There are some cruisers with a larger diameter handle bar that won't fit your bike.. but it'll be obvious... It'll be much more fun in the corners with the lower bars... Have fun with it.. JOE

Comment

thanks again for the replies.

I've had it out a couple of times since I pulled off the fairing and it is a new bike. Acceleration is amazing. I have not picked the new bars yet but I think you are right the lower bars will improve the ride.

Comment

This is an L model?
            Be careful how low you go with your bars.
            Think about your seat and relationship to the bars.
            Also how much you will be bent, legs and arms.
            You will have more weight on the front end, good for handling,usually, but
            how will you feel?

Other have told you to be careful with wiring and hoses.

Keith
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Be careful how low you go with your bars.
              You are right, I don't want to be bent over too far, my legs are already cramped without any mods.

I guess I was using the wrong term, I don't necessarily want lower bars but they are swept too far back. I do not have to reach at all for the bars now. It is a very upright ride.

Comment

On my 78 1000 I had touring bars and I changed to a set of stock 82 650 bars. they made me lean foreward a little, but were very comfortable. I have since changed to low bars, style over comfort.

Comment

Working...
                X