Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whale tail Porsche vs. old GS1000

Hi all!
    This happened some time ago on a lazy summer day tooling down a favorite and most familiar stretch of freeway.
    I had just merged onto I-84 coming out of town heading for home, when a Porsche started crowding my backside....so I nudged the speed up a tad .....still there..a bit more......getting POed now.
    OK fine....One downshift and I nailed it...
    We want to race huh?..Lets see what you got !!
    Well, as I weaved in and out of traffic my competition faded to the back, so I laid back and waited for him. As he approached I took of again bumping it to 118 and came up on a lazy righthander at 90 or so & for the first time encountered the dreaded weave that I'd allways heard of.
    Yuch!! 'OK now just back of easy Rick' No more of that for me...
    As I pulled of at my exit I got a good look at my "competition" as he pulled up beside me at the light.
    "That was great....I've got a bike too & I've allways like 'racing'"
    He was in a black whale tail Turbo Carrera.......
    That was fine.......I guess this calibre of car is acceptable to run against.
    ( Note: I don't do such stupid things anymore as it is hazardous to your health AND very illegal...Its' the fastest I've ever been on a bike by the way and the windblast is very difficult to enjoy)
    Rick.......

You've got an 1150 and you dont do that any more?
    then again they arent competive against an 1150 eh?
    Dink

Comment

whale tail
      My significant other,Donna, has always talked about the whale tail Saab's of the 70's and 80's.
      Any Pictures out there
      Thanks
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Like this....

Comment

Zoom,Zoom....

Originally posted by Dink
          You've got an 1150 and you dont do that any more?
          then again they arent competive against an 1150 eh?
          Dink
          No ...nothing much on four wheels is competitive with my 1150 I got now,......a while ago I came upon a slow (50 MPH) line of cars on a highway,...I was at the back and when it was clear I opened the 1150 up......in top gear no less.....I cleared the fifth car in the lead at well over a hundred.......then and there I KNEW there was nothing out there for competition. The porsche driver ( also a bike owner) as he yelled out the window MUST have known it would'nt be much of a race, but was just running hard for the sheer fun of it.
          Rick.......

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
            As he approached I took of again bumping it to 118 and came up on a lazy righthander at 90 or so & for the first time encountered the dreaded weave that I'd allways heard of.
            That weave or wallowing feeling is usually cured by hanging off a little more. It can be tough making yourself do it when you feel the bike moving on you but unless your suspension is way off it normally does the trick.

Comment

i had only two cars that ever gave me a run on a "liter" bike... i was on my '93 Kaw Concours both times...

dusted the late 90's Indy Pace Car corvette though was strong on the straights up to about 140

close call w/a modified Acura NSX... one FAST and handling car...

note, both were driven by experts and both experiences included about 10 miles of sweepers and highway straights...

a real super car can give a stock gs 1 or 1150 a run... but not for long
              hahahaha

speed safely...
              turk

Comment

Jesus.....

You guys are out there doing a buck-eighteen on I-84??? Man, I get up to around a buck and I'm ready to let off the throttle..... 8O 8O 8O

Comment

I LOVE when some cager wants to "play".
                  Only by myself, but I do get the urge to let her run........

Last time was a newer style Trans Am. My speedo only runs up to 85, that's when I usually shift to 4/th.....By then I could see the whole car in my mirror. By about 7K on the tach in 5/th....well he wasn't catching up.
                  I leveled off at about 80, he pulled up nedxt to me gave me a thumbs up.
                  I gave him one also and just grinned the rest of the way home.
                  If I'm at a stop light, I might give the _______(fill in the blank) a little head start, shift 2/nd and blow by him, usually catching 3/rd.
                  I love the touque to horsepower crossover
                  I don't usually mess with Mercedes, usually an older person and they get freaked when you go by.
                  Keith
                  -------------------------------------------
                  1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                  2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The clowns with 5L Mustangs seem to always want to take me on. :roll: They lose. Even with my Magna, the 5L crowd was there. A guy even took me on while I was riding my two-stroke! He got "smoked"!
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Cool stories, any GS running well will knock the socks off anything on four wheels. But these are antique bikes by todays standards, watch out for the wobble, you may become a statistic -Joe in Boise

Comment

What is this deadly wobble you guys speak of? Is it something common only with GS models or just any older style bike at such high speeds? Still a little new to riding, thanks for understanding

Comment

Originally posted by FissionPseudo
                          What is this deadly wobble you guys speak of? Is it something common only with GS models or just any older style bike at such high speeds? Still a little new to riding, thanks for understanding
                          "The Wobble" is fairly common to older bikes, not just GS's. BTW it is generally more like a small weaving, older bikes are not as strong in the frames as new bikes,and new bikes dont have twenty years wear on them either.
                          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by FissionPseudo
                            It's something that I only ever "saw" happen in mid 80's Honda's that I rode with. I have never had it happen to my on my Yama or Suzi.

The worst was a 650 Nighthawk, that thing would wobble so bad around turns at high speed that you thought it was gonna flip over. The Magna's were a close second and coupled with the shakey front dampeners on those things it scared the hoopies out of me riding with them. Those things were way to fast for the wobble they had. 8O

Comment

There are a variety of resons for "speed wobble". The many parts are supposed to work in harmony, but, once they get out of synch, and begin to act separately, they can set up distortion in the others, as each has to follow suit.

At speed, any bike lefts a bit in the air, exposing more fork length as the pressure is unloaded. That gives more length for the forks to flex.

When the specific bike reaches a certain point, on a certain type of road surface, the many bounces and twists in the forks and flex of the frame reach a point where the front wheel is highly confused as it tries to meet all the demands of the mechanics above.

Since the demands are conflicting, the bike begins to wander.

There are two simple things you can do to minimize the risk of this:

Check to be certain all the parts are in good shape, the forks true and balanced, and all bearings properly tightened. After that, add a fork brace.
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                              X