Turbocharging your GS....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbocharging your GS....

Has anyone assembled a blowthrough style turbo set up on one of these bikes for the street? Fuel injected or carbed? What power output did you see?

-=Whittey=-

Comment

WOW :twisted: :twisted: 8) 8O
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Doug, the turbo bike you posted is a draw through kit on a 4v motor. This is what I currently have, except on a 2v motor. Draw through kits "draw" the air through the carb; blow through kits "blow" through the carbs (or better yet the Fuel Injection throttle plate). Advantages of a blow through are quicker turbo response and ability to use intercoolers. Turbo is typically in front of the motor as well. Thanks for the picture though.

Comment

Whittey, thanks for the web address; I don't think Mr Turbo has such a nice display on his site. I'm hoping to build my own system and looking for someone who has already been there to help me avoid some of the pitfalls. Thanks.

Comment

What kind of pitfalls are you curious about. I can't see as how a GS motor would have any more difficulties than turboing any other motor that is not boosted from the factory. Well, besides the low oil pressure. Other than that you'd probably have to put a carb box on the mikuni's (for some reason i'm under the impression that they don't like boost like a typical internally vented 2 or 4bbl carb). Or you could rock an EFI setup. Either a full-expense unit like SDS or Wolf3d or someone, or a homebrew organization like the Megasquirt. Converting a mikuni to act as a simple throttle body shouldn't be difficult (with the modification of a TPS and possibly IAC) and running an injector through the boot or perhaps even through the carbs themselves. Or a custom sheet metal or tubular intake....

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Oiling system is a minor concern, although I've got several avenues for info here. Also, interested in effective, low cost wastegates (is there such a thing?). Also, any experiences with pressure relief valves on the intake side to protect the components when the throttle is snapped shut suddenly and intercoolers. Biggest concern, though, is trying to assemble a low cost fuel injection system using readily available OEM parts from NAPA that can be programmed from my laptop at home. This last one is a lot of new territory for me. Machining and piping aspects are not an issue. I'd prefer to develop this on an older motor (since I have a lot of depth in spare GS1000 2v parts) then later build it nice the first time on a newer one.

Comment

Hrm. I don't see a huge need for a remote wastegate. Even with tons of boost you're still going to run on regular fuel (true?). So even at ~250hp (How much are you shooting for?) a remote isn't needed for its flow capacity, though perhaps packaging. You could also nix the wastegate and run a sufficiently large turbine and housing, though obviously you'd be limited as to lowend boost.

BOV's are available everywhere. Tons of import cars are comming turbo'd or being retrofitted. If you're looking for low budget, you can even use something as simple as a radiator cap. It has been done before.

Low cost fuel injection should be relatively simple. O2 sensor placement is simple, map should be simple (assuming you want MAP and not MAF?). Using a Megasquirt and common parts, you should have the entire EFI system up for less than $1000 (or, less than the price of an SDS computer).

Realistically you could snag a T3 from a 2.2l mopar (.48 a/r turbine), pipe it all together, add your sensors (O2, MAP, MAT, Head Temp, etc), add a BOV, fuel pump, injectors, fuel rail, AFPR and an oil pump and you should be pretty much good to go

-=Whittey=-

Comment

You know, I have never seen a blow through system on a bike. When I was playing around, I cut down the shaft on my Rajay to lighten it up and used direct injection with nitrous to overcome the lag. When I say "direct" I don't mean direct into the cylinder like a diesel, but using two jets per cylinder pointing directly into the valves. The n2o was only on during the first couple of seconds then it switched off.

Well it sounds like a fun project. Post some pictures if you put one together. Do you want this for racing?

Oh, you may want to look at RC Engineering. I think they are still making injectors that may do just want you want.

Comment

Working...
                  X