Lowering the rear possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering the rear possible?

Ok I did a search about lowering the rear but couldnt really find any solid proof of a kit. In a couple old posts I read about a kit that dennis kirk and jcwhitney sells that lowers the rear end of a dual shock bike. But i cant find anything on either of those sites. Does anyone know where I can find a kit to lower the rear end of my bike?

_M
    '79 GS750

Yesterday I just finished lowering the rear of a 650 yamaha. I went nuts looking for shorter shocks first and then i found a set of lowering blocks that not only re locate the shock mount but also bolt to the swing arm in 2 places. I looked as you did for someone to supply me with new lowering blocks but idont think they are made any more for older bikes--at least i couldnt find them. When i lowered my gs1100e i used 11 inch rear shocks that my bone yard found at a swap meet. The shorter shocks are the best way to go if you can locate the size you want.
    If you tell us what bike you have someone may have more and better information for you
    `

Comment

This is a guy that used to work for Girling. http://www.speedandsport.com/shocks.html

Comment

Here is another link for Hagon in England. I haven't checked to see if there is a U.S. distributor. They have shocks for both dual shock and mono-shock GS models. Just remember to look for GSX models and check the year of application. Click on the applications page. They use an index system so you won't see Suzuki on the applications chart under the dual shock heading. It's in the Panther-Triumph section. They have mono-shocks for 750s and 1100s which I should be the same for the 1150 since it is listed for EF models. http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagShocks2.htm

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. My bike model is under my name. Im probably going to go with a different sized shock.

_M
          '79 GS750

Comment

I put 11 inch shocks on my 1100 also. I had a pair of 10 inch shocks, that I have no idea where I got them, put them on my old KZ1000 drag/ street bike, but, like a dumb @$$, I let those go with the bike. You could also try air adjustable shocks, and mount a small compressor on the frame to raise and lower the bike with the flip of a switch. You could probably use one of those small compressors that plug into a cigarette lighter of a car, just hard wire it to the GS.

Comment

That would be cool but air shocks are alot more expensive then the standards.

Comment

I have a set that work great, you can have them for the shipping price. Just let me know how it works out. Want 'em?

Comment

Sure ill take them. What were they off of? Ill e-mail you my address.

Comment

I have 2 sets, one's off a goldwing, the other came off a honda 750. I had one of the pairs on my GS1100 for the drags, but now i have struts for it. The shocks with NO air was somewhere around 8 inches and 13.5 fully pressurized. Email me your address, and I'll get them out to ya.

Comment

:? Quickie, will the shocks off the honda work on a GS ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilmoses
                        :? Quickie, will the shocks off the honda work on a GS ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
                        measure the length-we have honda shocks on the kz1300. All we had to do was change the rubber bushings in the shock eyes and then they went right on..Ill bet that in most cased the bushing sizes are the same.

Comment

I had a set on my GS1100, slopoke hit it, just have to change the bushings in the eyelets. The bottom on my GS's have the fork type mount, but the goldwing has an offset eyelet to accomodate the shock with use of the shaftdrive system.

Comment

Working...
                          X