Painting tail section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting tail section

The chemicals I used did a wonderful job at removing the paint off the metal tank, but how do I go about removing the paint off the plastic tail section. My freshly painted tank looks great and the SUZUKI emblems really stand out. I did these tanks with the help of my local Hydro TS (Transformer Station), they let me use the spray booth on account that my dad also works for Hydro out of London...I put the tank on and rolled it out of the garage to show off and the first thing mom says is "what about the back part?.... it looks bad now..." ... 8O 8O . All that work and mom still complains about the work yet to be done. Whats the best way to get the old paint off the tail section and prep plactic for new paint??
    thanks in advance.

Mark (I gotta get out of these fumes for a bit...)

1978 gs750
    31, XXX km
    slightly modified 8-valve engine (Custom oil filler cap!!)
    old kerker exhaust

This is a very through description of how to prep for painting in general.
    Plastic parts are mentioned but not covered in detail. It sounds like sanding, sanding and more sanding.

My guess is that any chemical strong enough to remove paint would dissolve your plastic parts.

Comment

Wet sanding. Start with 400 grit and finish with 600 or 800 grit. A good coat of a filler type primer then sand that with a worn out piece of 600 grit.

Comment

Go to your local NAPA store , They sell martin senyour paints and have a plastic parts paint stripper in a spray can that works great and dosent hurt the plastic. I repainted mine last winter and used the stripper it took two cans to do my rear fender side covers and the tail section. It beats all of that hand sanding.
        Mike

Comment

I used a DA sander on all my bike parts, 80 grit took it right off!

Comment

Working...
          X