It's not hold a charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not hold a charge

my battary keeps loosing it's charge. I've changed the r&r already and up graded the wiring. 82 GS750

Sounds like it''s time for a new Stator!
    GY

Comment

Charging?

Have you checked to see if the charging system is working?
      Use any old voltmeter, first with the engine off...should be about 12.5 >12.7 Volts , with the engine running anywhere from 13.6 to 14.2 or so.
      If thats' OK then the charging system is OK, then you can move onto a "Bad" battery. Remember these batteries are very small and don't usually last very long especially considering the on again off again nature of riding.
      Rick................

Comment

Re: Charging?

Originally posted by Richard Ellis
        Have you checked to see if the charging system is working?
        Use any old voltmeter, first with the engine off...should be about 12.5 >12.7 Volts , with the engine running anywhere from 13.6 to 14.2 or so.
        If thats' OK then the charging system is OK, then you can move onto a "Bad" battery. Remember these batteries are very small and don't usually last very long especially considering the on again off again nature of riding.
        Rick................
        All good.

Before discarding your battery try a simple check....look at the fluid levels in each cell.

If even one cell is very low it won't be able to take or hold a full charge. Fill it with water (distilled, preferably) up to the designated fill line, and give it a trickle charge (max 2amps/hr) overnight, then see if it holds.

Recommend having the battery off the bike when charging it.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

also look to see if the engine ground is connected from the batt

Comment

Just on the battery thing. Most chain owned outo stores have very sophisticated battery testing devices. Bring in the battery and get it tested for free. The voltage check is the best one at first. Read the Stator papers for a full diagnosis proceedure.

Comment

Sorry it's taking me so long to respone to all of the helpful tips. Injuryed my leg at work, back up and around and ready to ride. After checking everything else, I'm thinking it's the STARTOR, how much should one pay for A used one? Or should i go for A new? Price willing.[/quote]

Comment

Originally posted by Mwilson
                Sorry it's taking me so long to respone to all of the helpful tips. Injuryed my leg at work, back up and around and ready to ride. After checking everything else, I'm thinking it's the STARTOR, how much should one pay for A used one? Or should i go for A new? Price willing.
                [/quote]
                With the tests and proceedures given in he stator papers, there should be no guess work.

Comment

Hi! scotty I read the papers and ran the tests, I also read the how to rewire your stator but i'm not that brave yet! I'm still a beginer.

Comment

Slow down...

I would SERIOUSLY consider replacing the battery before changing anything on the Bike itself. I have found that is almost ALWAYS the problem. If the battery is not a REAL brand name (Yuasa is good) and the EXACT model specified in the owners manual, I would invest in that first. Worst case scenario, you have a NEW battery to start the season with!

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                    X