Carb settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb settings

After a recent restoration of my GS750DB, during which I completely stripped /cleaned the MIKUNI ROUND SLIDE type Carbs. I also disturbed the Needle screws which are at the front (engine side) of the carbs.
    The manual tells you NOT TO DISTURB as they are factory set. I read this too late.
    I have downloaded the Mikuni manual but it does not cover my type of round slide type carbs.
    Any idea of the method setting these correctly or getting them in the ball park.
    The engine starts and runs well but appears to be a bit rich.

Pilot screws.

They are called pilot screws.They are set at the factory during emissions testing,so you cannot exactly duplicate once disturbed. Turning in=leaner, out=richer, the opposite of the air screw on the side. I was aware of the 'do not disturb' warning and carefully counted the distance the screws were out on my '79 1000,by gently seating each one. They were between 1 1/8,and 1 1/4 turns out. No problems at re-start.
    They effect the low idle speed and their effect quickly dissapears as the jet-needle takes over. If you re-seat them,do carefully as the sharp tip can break. The side air screw is generally out about 1 1/2 to 2 turns and all 4 should be set to obtain the highest idle rpm. Hope this helped. KK.
    Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 05-23-2006, 11:43 PM.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith
      many thanks for the reply,I'll try putting them at one-and-quarter and go from there.
      The Air Screws on the side according to the Suzuki book are set at Full-in and one -and- quarter turns out this may be because mines a 750 and yours is 1000.
      Leighton

Comment

Once your up and running do a plug check (ideal tan coloured) and adjust your fuel mixture according to what you find. After I cleaned/sinced my carbs the positions of all the screws are different. Not a flat spot what so ever. Good luck

Comment

76 GS750 Carburator idle

i have the same issue with the 76 GS750 Carburator idle. i can't get it to idle either. i checked the boots. i think it's the mixture screw as well. but again factory preset. the set screw is in the top of the carb. as soon as i shut the choke off the bike stalls
          Help!!!

Comment

When you pull the choke you are richning the carbs. This indicates you are not getting enough fuel under normal circumstances...check the following..
            1) you getting any fuel in the carbs ? float height etc
            2) your jets may be blocked - carbs may need cleaning.

Comment

Working...
            X