Indexing Cams 1978 GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indexing Cams 1978 GS 1000

I have a 1978 gs1000, mildly ported ,Mikuni 29mm smooth bores ,4-1 Vance&Hines pipe. I have slotted the cam shaft sprockets and would like to index the cams . I would like to hear from anyone else who has a similar setup, and what they would recommend for ideal ideal cam timing settings for peak performance. Thanks Joe

I followed the '84 Motorcyclist mag where they built a '79 1000E project bike.It had the smoothbores,V/H megaphone pipe,1085 wiseco pistons,and K/N ovals as the main engine upgrades,but no 'mild porting'. With these mod's,they recommend for best compromise between low/midrange torque and top end horsepower a setting of 104- 106 degrees. V/H did my engine work/cam timing and the bike runs much stronger than stock without sacrificing reliability/driveability.
    If ridden hard this motor does make more heat,so an oil cooler can help.I don't use one but I don't ride hard,just the occassional trophy dash.Hope this helps. KK.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
    X