Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novice GS 450 help

Hey all,
    I'll start off b saying that I am a pretty new biker. I probably would have even bought a bike if it hadn't been for a drunk that hit my truck last April. But now that I am riding I've found I love it. So anyway on to the question. My dad and I are fairly decent mechanics and we took an '81 gs450 engine that someone was selling out of a small pulling tractor and put it into an '85 Kawasaki GPZ750 rolling chassis that we were able to pick up for cheap. But being a larger guy, upwards to 260, the old 450 just doesn't get up and go like I want it to. It's a blast to ride, but I just am tired of having to rev the thing up to the sky to get it to pull off from stoplights. So I'm looking for some low end torque, and maybe some top end too. So I guess what I really want to just a better curve. what is the best way to improve response throught the entire curve, and how much $$ are we talkin? any help is greatly apreciated

Thanks
    adam

Hi adam

Sounds an interesting project...

Power wise, the 450 will never be a great mover with a lot of weight on it..a nice ride but not a powerhouse. The engine may be a bit tired, so checking out its condition mayy give a clue as to what is needed.

Cost wise, perhaps a swap to a later engine would help (and be cheaper!) As you have GPZ750 chassis, going for a GS750 motor may get you what you want without doing up the 450 and still finding it a bit lacking.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X