Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dyna S and no charging system. Will it work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna S and no charging system. Will it work.

I have a '79 gs750 that im going to make a street and strip bike. My charging system doesnt work and im thinking of removing it and having a side plate made. But....heres the question do i need a charging system for the dyna s to work properly? Thanks.

_M

You don't need a charging system for it to still work. As long as the battery has 12 volts, you'll be ok.
    But you will have to charge the battery between rounds.
    Mike

Comment

The ignition needs power to run..a small battery will do the job, recharged when necessary. The charging system keeps the power going for longer.

Comment

I drag race my gs1000 and we just put the battery on charge, every other round and then only for about 15 minutes til it's recharged.
        Paul

Comment

Dyna S is not a pig on power

I road race a GS1000 using the Dyna S and a total loss system (battery only, no charging system.) I can run apractice and sprints all weekend without the charge in the battery dropping significantly. In fact, we also have run 2 hour endurance races with no problems.

Comment

I believe you can buy 14Volt batteries so that it takes longer to drain and you get a better spark.

Steve

Comment

I drag raced a GS1000 for several years using the Dyna S ignition and a total loss charging system. Many of these were using the on board starter as well. When I went to a remote starter I was able to remove nearly 40 lbs, considering the starter motor, flywheel, stator winding, motor cover, etc. and using a smaller battery. Again, no problems. Charged between rounds when I could but didn't always as rounds went quicker. But...

Once I added the nitrous to it, and neglected to increase the battery size to compensate for the current draw of the fuel pump and solenoids the problems began to show. Fuel pumps and solenoids crave amps and are not particular about voltage. The Dyna S, and most other electronic ignitions I'm guessing, crave voltage and require very few amps. Long story short, activating the nitrous system caused the ignition to become weak. To say the least, be sure to consider your total power requirements when designing your system.

Today's electronics on dragbikes can be extensive and must be reliably powered to provide the proper performance.

Comment

Go for it, keep the battery or batteries fresh and you'll be OK...

Comment

As per massakins comments, from memory the Dyna is a LED system. These need a minimum level of voltage to wok. Too much load or discharged battery and it will not work. I found this out the hard way years ago with a similar system. In cold wether the bike would not start using the starter. I put in a bigger battery at the time (a bigger one can be squeezed in). Batteries must be better these days as I use a standard size Yuasu that works fine

Comment

Working...
                  X