Fairing Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing Suggestions

I have an 83 GS1100ED with the big arse headlamp. I am interested in a fairing or flyscreen for some wind protection. I would prefer to keep the stock headlamp, but I am willing to compromise. I do not want what amounts to a fancy windshield. I would like an actual fairing. Something like a Wes Cooley fairing or an ESD style fairing. I think I heard Shoei made a bubble type fairing for these bikes.
    TIA :mrgreen:

Watch Ebay or check Airtech for the 1150 fairing. Uses the basically the same 8" headlight mounted to the fairing. Try to find one with the headlight though because they are not exactly the same. I picked one up off of Ebay for about $75. The windscreen was shot but Zero Gravity sill has them in a variety of tints. The 1150 fairings are as close as you will come to a modern looking fairing that utilizes the big headlight.

Comment

Re: Fairing Suggestions

Originally posted by mike94form
      I have an 83 GS1100ED with the big arse headlamp. I am interested in a fairing or flyscreen for some wind protection. I would prefer to keep the stock headlamp, but I am willing to compromise. I do not want what amounts to a fancy windshield. I would like an actual fairing. Something like a Wes Cooley fairing or an ESD style fairing. I think I heard Shoei made a bubble type fairing for these bikes.
      I was able to find one of the old after-market Wes Cooley's at a salvage yard for $20 or so. It's made for a 7" headlight, but the well to the headlight is about 2" deep and tapered, so by trimming off about 3/4" it fit the 8"headlight. I bought the screen from ZG. It works great if you can find one. I mounted it with homemade brackets to the side reflector mounts and the mirror mounts and then added bar-end mirrors.

I also bought an 1150es fairing thinking it might be a little nicer, but I didn't use my brain - it's frame-mounted and I didn't want a frame-mounted fairing. The old Shoeis were butt-ugly and caused some weird handling problems at higher speeds. No problems with the Wes Cooley. I think you can even get an old R90s fairing and make it fit. Either ebay, Airtech or you can actually get original equipment through a BMW dealer - 'bout $300, I think.
      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Fairing Suggestions

I recommend the Rifle Sport fairing. The manufacturer is Rifle. Their webstite is www.rifle.com. I have had the Sport handle bar mounted fairing on my 82 GS1100EZ for over 10 years. It's provides great wind protection.

Comment

Re: Fairing Suggestions

Originally posted by mike94form
          Why not a Vetter fairing? I know they ain't as sexy as the ones you have listed, but they sure are functional.

Comment

Working...
          X