Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Purchased 82 GS1100E, Need Advice on Mods....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Purchased 82 GS1100E, Need Advice on Mods....

Hi There, I just purchased a 1982 GS1100e with about 12,000 miles on it.
    Rode the bike today and it is quite fast the way it is, but I would like to beef up the engine.(Don't know if the crank is welded yet).
    Any suggestions? Also, how are the stock carbs? I've heard of people throwing 38mm Mikuni Flatslides in there.... And exhausts???? (4 to 1)

Thanks in advance.

Some quick ways to more power and reliability.
    Install slotted cam gear and dial-in the cams, Suzuki are notorious for inaccurate cam timing and there is lot of power to be had here.
    Dyna igntion, complete set up,ignitor coils etc.
    Billet clutch basket , to bypass the old bugbear of clutch rattle.
    Topend oil kit , no extra power but great for longevity.
    Manual camchain tensioner , not a lot of power , once again a reliability mod.
    38 flat slides do fit and give a big boost.
    If you want even more the only way to go is BIG BORE, and maybe a GSXR head conversion.
    Dink

Comment

That bike is a piece of junk. Just ask Hap Call. I am hookinm up my trailer to the van and will take it off your hands for $50 as soon as you send me your address.
      I am a mercifull and compasionate person
      Scotty

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
        That bike is a piece of junk. Just ask Hap Call. I am hookinm up my trailer to the van and will take it off your hands for $50 as soon as you send me your address.
        I am a mercifull and compasionate person
        Scotty
        JetMechanic,
        Scotty is being stingy. I'll relieve you of that pile of headaches for $75.

Comment

Thank's for your advice.... Also, thank's to everyone for the wise-ass remarks about it being worth $50 or $75. I know what it's worth, that's why I bought it for only $100

Comment

Okay, Okay..... $250, but that's my FINAL offer!

Comment

Originally posted by JetMechanic
              Thank's for your advice.... Also, thank's to everyone for the wise-ass remarks about it being worth $50 or $75. I know what it's worth, that's why I bought it for only $100
              Wow what a deal--you should follow Duncans lead on the mods--((Dink))

Comment

Re: Just Purchased 82 GS1100E, Need Advice on Mods....

(Don't know if the crank is welded yet).
                Aside from the wise remarks don't have enough knowledge to speak to performance mods.
                But I do know you can check the crank being welded or not but you have to pull the clutch. With the clutch removed you will be able to rotate the crank around to where can see if the third main in from the right side is welded or not.
                There is a lot of differing information on how much of the crank Suzuki welded, just the mains, just the throws, ect... Mains and throws are welded on mine as is the drive gear but I don't know if it's original, a warranty job or aftermarket???
                Mine was built in 3/82 (pretty late in the manufacture cycle).

Comment

I will follow Duncans advice on the mods, But does anyone know where or who makes a good 4 into 1 exhaust for this bike? I prefer Yoshimura but will settle for anything decent.

It's cold in Boston.........

Comment

I will follow Duncans advice on the mods, But does anyone know where or who makes a good 4 into 1 exhaust for this bike? I prefer Yoshimura but will settle for anything decent.

Comment

I don't believe that Yoshimura makes an exhaust for anything older than about 5 years...Vance & Hines still makes a good one. Scotty won't lead you astray...except for that $50 offer :roll: !

Hap

Comment

You can make a Yosh exhaust from early air/oil cooled GSXR fit with some minor work... The exhaust port spacing is the same. Just make sure to measure your clearance from ports to the bottom of engine. Other than that it's just a matter of making up a bracket for the end can.

Comment

Any idea if any of the newer exhausts can fit an old GS750. I can't seem to find anything that will work?
                          Paul

Comment

I guess its possible that stuff from a bandit or katanas would work....but I don't know for sure. see if you can find out and let everybody know...

Comment

Originally posted by nasty
                              Any idea if any of the newer exhausts can fit an old GS750. I can't seem to find anything that will work?
                              Air/oil cooled GSX-R pipes should work. I'm running a Yosh Duplex from a pre '93 GSX-R750 on my 700. The Kat and Bandit pipes should work as well since they run the early motors. Just make sure if the GS is pre '83 to use an 1100 pipe. '83 and up GS750's need either a 600 or 750 pipe due to exhaust port diameter.

Comment

Working...
                              X