Paint, Paint & more Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint, Paint & more Paint

Just letting you know if you want a good hard finish on anything you paint just throw it in the kitchen oven. 8O If you heat the oven up to 180 degrees F and gently put object in and cook for 1 hour then leave everything to cool down it should come out pretty nice. Just remember to get all non-metal material out of the parts, open all the windows and get rid of the other half for the after-noon. I did engine cases, barrels, head, tappet-cover,tripletrees, calipers,brake-arm,shockie-springs and anything else that fitted. It seems to smooth the paint out as they look better after they come out. I used universial alluminum for the (silver) motor, semi-gloss heat-proof black for the calipers and gloss black for frame parts. All paint was V.H.T. brand. When the parts are on the bike just dab some armor-all (stay away from rotors) on the semi-gloss items using a small paint brush.

i heard if you use your home oven to bake a powder coat job you cant use that oven to cook with any longer

Comment

i don't think he is using powder-coat as that type of paint is usually baked at 400 deg f or so. (could be off by a few degrees). they do recommend that you NOT do that in your cooking oven - it must screw it up.

i've never heard of baking paint - but if he says it works - i cant' argue.

Comment

A lot of paint shops have 'ovens' for painting that put the temp up around 160. They put plastic body panels in it at that temp, but you don't have to worry about the plastic hitting anything hotter then that temp in there units, unlike the home oven.

Comment

While you're in the kitchen......

Before you paint those little parts..........You can get them really clean in the dishwasher. [Really! Just make sure they're gone before the wife gets home!]

Keith

Comment

Re: While you're in the kitchen......

Originally posted by kahendrickson
            Before you paint those little parts..........You can get them really clean in the dishwasher. [Really! Just make sure they're gone before the wife gets home!]

Keith
            8O
            True story, just a couple of weekends ago...

I'm sitting in the living room. watching a show after a long day of cleaning and stripping parts for a re-paint.

From the kitchen, I hear my wife: "What the hell? Honey, why is your motorcycle in the dishwasher?"

D'OH! Forgot to pull that tank, side panels, and fenders out before she found them! nice and shiny, but I had to re-sand the tank. The dry cycle rusted it some, since it was stripped bare.

Comment

My room mate used to cook fish in the dishwasher. He'd just wrap them in tinfoil and let it go.

Steve

Comment

Brownell's makes a teflon paint for gun finishing. Heat the parts in boiling water, spray the stuff on, then bake for an hour at 350. Holy keerist what a stink, but you won't scratch the gun again. I did it to a nickel Springfield .45 V-10 Compact. Looked absolutely amazing.

I can't imagine that one couldn't do the same thing with bike parts.

Comment

Re: While you're in the kitchen......

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
                  Originally posted by kahendrickson

Keith
                  8O
                  True story, just a couple of weekends ago...

I'm sitting in the living room. watching a show after a long day of cleaning and stripping parts for a re-paint.

From the kitchen, I hear my wife: "What the hell? Honey, why is your motorcycle in the dishwasher?"

D'OH! Forgot to pull that tank, side panels, and fenders out before she found them! nice and shiny, but I had to re-sand the tank. The dry cycle rusted it some, since it was stripped bare.
                  DUDE thats hysterical! even my wife is laughing at that!

and thanks, you took the heat off me, i just got done stripping my whole bike and giving it a "streetfighter" look, and my garag eis a mess, i'll be falling back on the "fine, i'll just wash my parts in the dish washer!" :P

Comment

I have one to beat that!! I was rubbing back bits outside and it started raining so i draged everything into shower/bathroom and sat my tank in the bathtub
                    whilst i whent back to sanding the sideplates.
                    problem is i had sprayed 1/2 a can of ripper stripper on the tank before and in the hurry to get in from the rain i just forgot.
                    Iremebered about 120 mins later !
                    The caustic reaction had cased the bath to bubble up and the tank was actually sinking into parts of the tub (being a newer tub made from some sort of plastic) And what made matters worse was the fact the old paint colour was embeded into the bubbling Aerobar
                    lookalike that once was our tub !!!!!!!!!
                    My wife was out and MY GOD WHEN SHE GOT HOME MAN!!!!!
                    Allmost as bad as when she came home early from holidays to find a stripped 750 katana engine on the kitchen bench.......
                    The bathtub episode still gets bought up everynow and then and its been like 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! But at least the tank was ok and that is the main thing

Comment

Sticking parts in the oven is a good tip. I just got my bike repainted... but I think my parents would be a little ticked off if they came home and my gas tank was baking in their oven :roll:

Comment

I'll tell you how to pi** off your wife. This winter I had a battery I was attempting to bring back to life. We've got a spare room in the house and believe it or not she has actually let me bring a couple bikes in to work on them. Anyway I put the charger on the bike, got bust and forgot it. Next morning there is this horrible smell in the house. Looked for about 10 minutes to try to find the smell, then my brain remembered the battery. Opened the door and there the battery was, boiled dry with acid all over the place. I still have not lived that one down yet, I must also say, I have not brought another bike into the house since, not even asked if I could. I won't press my luck for quite a while.

Comment

TIP !! Just go around to lawn sales/look in news paper for an old electric oven! You can get one very cheap or FREE just to take away! Then you can put it in the garage and not worry about the wife getting pd-off about your "parts baking". LOL

Comment

I was just thinking this... it is Garage Sale time in the Denver metro, so I'm dragging a trailer cruising for bikes and accessories anyway. ...

I'll add that to my watch list. now to go run that 220 outlet in the garage.

Comment

I took my tank in the basement to let the kreem set up.

It looked like the kreem was going to take all nite to set up, so I took it in the basement. I noticed it was pooling so I figured I would vent it out to get it to set up. I went and got the hair dryer and used the cold air setting to blow it out. The fumes were wreched. I heard my wife exclaim from the 2nd floor "what the heck is he doing? trying to kill us all!!!!" We had to open the whole house up and fan it out. javascript:emoticon('')
                              Laughing

My tank came out perfect though. Im quite proud of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X