Getting the carbies back on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the carbies back on.

Trying to get a set of four carbies back on the inlet tubes can be tricky. For some reason their mounting bracket seems to be just that little bit out of whack with the tubes.

In the last week I've swapped between two carby sets many times on my bike and have found a simple answer.

Sit on the bike.

Don't try to put the carbies on from the side. Just sit on the bike. This gives direct leverage against the bike and they are much easier to fit.

Have them tilted so the bottom of the carby sits in the tube, then push them in. When you fit the airbox, lift the carbies and make sure the airbox tubes are first located under the carbies. Then just push upwards. All done.

You will already have sprayed them with a lube spray. But you knew that.

Cheers,
    Kim

sounds like great advice to me--

Comment

Trust me to read that post a week after I spent an afternoon wrestling with my carbies on my Kat!!!! I've got to look at more forums other than General Discussion!!
      Next time ...... :roll:

cheers katana

Comment

Originally posted by Katana
        Trust me to read that post a week after I spent an afternoon wrestling with my carbies on my Kat!!!! I've got to look at more forums other than General Discussion!!
        Next time ...... :roll:

cheers katana
        We must try and learn something in between our battles((er-- i meant discussions)

Comment

If your carb boots are old or the rubber is hard (especially if the temp is cold) you can use a hair dryer to soften the rubber up and make it more plyable.............skip

Comment

Re: Getting the carbies back on.

Originally posted by kkmiller
            Trying to get a set of four carbies back on the inlet tubes can be tricky. For some reason their mounting bracket seems to be just that little bit out of whack with the tubes.

In the last week I've swapped between two carby sets many times on my bike and have found a simple answer.

Sit on the bike.

Don't try to put the carbies on from the side. Just sit on the bike. This gives direct leverage against the bike and they are much easier to fit.

Have them tilted so the bottom of the carby sits in the tube, then push them in. When you fit the airbox, lift the carbies and make sure the airbox tubes are first located under the carbies. Then just push upwards. All done.

You will already have sprayed them with a lube spray. But you knew that.

Cheers,
            Kim
            I recently put the carbs back on by GS and used this advice.....
            EXCELLENT.
            Thanks a million for that help 8) 8) 8)
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler
              EXCELLENT.
              I take it you mean a million dollars. With the Aussie exchange rate going at about .60US to the Oz dollar, 1.66million here in Oz. That's enough to buy me a whole heap of GSs.

:-)

Kim
              (Thanks a hundred.)

Comment

Originally posted by kkmiller
                Originally posted by crag antler
                EXCELLENT.
                I take it you mean a million dollars. With the Aussie exchange rate going at about .60US to the Oz dollar, 1.66million here in Oz. That's enough to buy me a whole heap of GSs.

:-)

Kim
                (Thanks a hundred.)
                Oh yeah, I 'll make sure to get that right in the mail to you.
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

My 80 GS850 carbs were very tough to get on. I took 2 pieces of threaded rod and 2 small strong pieces of wood and made an H clamp by drilling holes in the wood and passing the threaded rod through. The front piece of wood is held up against the frame of the bike with a bungie cord while I make sure the back piece of wood is set properly flush against the carbs. I could then slowly and accurately turn the nuts against the wood and draw the carbs in. I've done it several times and it is absolutely a sure fire effortless method. I can walk around the bike while checking the progress. Using wood ensures there is not a marr on the bike when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
                  X