tire size...the bigger the better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire size...the bigger the better!

Hey all...great site you've got going here! I've got a 1980 gs550 thats in desperate need of some rubber. I believe the rear wheel is 18", it is the mag style. Whats the widest tire I can put on it? Whats a good source for tires? (cheapest!) Thanks for the help!

If its around 2.15 in width then I'd say a 120/90, or a 4.50 is pretty much it. I have a 130/80 TKV sport on my old rear rim and the tire is too wide for the rim. Maybe a 130/90 could squeeze on but you'll never use all the rubber. Just in case you're wondering a 130/80 is lower in profile to a 130/90 so it needs a wider rim to use all its rubber.

Comment

I agree with Jon , the best rubber to use is the one that the original specs have listed.
      Oversizing tyres can lead to a change in handling characteristics for the worse in some cases.
      I run Metzlers on my Katana and reckon theyre great for sport/tour

cheers katana

Comment

When you put too wide of a tire on a rim you are pinching the sidewalls so much that you end up with less contact patch than with the right size tire. You have a triangular profile at that point which leads to some crazy handling.

Comment

I dont know if your bike has the same problem with wider tires as I do but I can only put one size over due to the fact that the swinging arm just doesnt have the space for anything more.

Comment

From my experience, what you've heard above is true. I bought a 1979 Ducati 900SS a few years ago. It came with tires that were two sizes bigger than recommended but I wasn't bothered as the bike handled so well. When the time came for them to be replaced, I took the advice of a buddy and went back to the original size both front and rear. WOW!!! What a difference!! If the bike handled well before, now it was like a dream. That said, I also have a 1981 GS550T and have put much wider tires on it but courtesy of upgrading to 1986 GSXR wheels. So the tires are still the stock size.

Comment

Working...
            X