From Shaft to Chain ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Shaft to Chain ??

Is it possible to remove the bevelled gear assembly from a shaft driven GS1100 and put a sprocket on it ( of course this means installing Engine into a GS Chain type Frame) to convert to a chain driven bike ??
    My brother in law seems to think that this is possible...he is out of town and suppsedly has some literature on achieving this task.... is he Crazy or can this be done ??... Thanks All.... Robb

Re: From Shaft to Chain ??

Originally posted by RCRobb
    Is it possible to remove the bevelled gear assembly from a shaft driven GS1100 and put a sprocket on it ( of course this means installing Engine into a GS Chain type Frame) to convert to a chain driven bike ??
    My brother in law seems to think that this is possible...he is out of town and suppsedly has some literature on achieving this task.... is he Crazy or can this be done ??... Thanks All.... Robb
    wonderfull idea. but why do you want to do it in the first place. I am asking this question because i know many shafties want to convert to the chain gang and will be anxiously waiting to find the method.

Comment

wonderfull idea. but why do you want to do it in the first place. I am asking this question because i know many shafties want to convert to the chain gang and will be anxiously waiting to find the method.

Good one, Scotty. The chance of any of us blissfully shafted ones to go back to the chain middle ages is about as good as Saddam asking the USA for political asylum.

Your question is a good one, though. Why does anyone want to do this, and make a perfectly good motorcycle into something it can't be? Don't want a shaft? Then sell it to someone who will appreciate the shaft. Want a chain-gang bike? Then buy one. It's that simple.

Nick

Comment

I have 2 bikes.... a GS1000GL & a GS1100GL.....the 1100 ( the one I want to convert) I wish to make into a Drag Bike looking Street Legal Bike..... to do this I want to stretch the rear a bit .....and with this comes the problem of the shaft.............

Comment

This place http://www.pcwracing.net/page2.htm does a chain conversion for the V-Max. They might also do others or have info on who would.

Comment

If it can be done, and if the prices are similar to that of the V-Max conversion - I think you would be far better off to take the advice of Nick and sell the shafty and putchase a chain bike. Then you could use the conversion money for engine enhancements, or whaterver you want.

The only reason this was done to the V-Max is that it was shoft only. Get a chain drive bike for this project.

Comment

Originally posted by RCRobb
              I have 2 bikes.... a GS1000GL & a GS1100GL.....the 1100 ( the one I want to convert) I wish to make into a Drag Bike looking Street Legal Bike..... to do this I want to stretch the rear a bit .....and with this comes the problem of the shaft.............
              My remarks were simply to drag Nick out of his classroom for a second. He is correct. those shafties are strong bikes and you can buy a chain drive1150 for peanuts compared to doing a conversion. then you will have a shaftie to sell and reduce the amount of your expenditures on the chain drag bike. Good luck.

Comment

What classroom, Scotty? My rear end has been out of a classroom since Friday, due to this damn snow. Back to the classroom on Monday, I hope, otherwise, I'll be retiring in July! :x

Teaching's easier than shoveling!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  What classroom, Scotty? My rear end has been out of a classroom since Friday, due to this damn snow. Back to the classroom on Monday, I hope, otherwise, I'll be retiring in July! :x

Teaching's easier than shoveling!
                  well just be caefull till july. It was bad weather here today if that makes you feel better.
                  83 degrees -sunny and clear. i rode my tush of on both bikes. Its too bad there is no scenery around here like those roads up your way.

Comment

Working...
                  X