dieting a gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dieting a gs1000

Besides an aftermarket exhaust, what have y'all done to make one of these beasts a little lighter and quicker.

Andrews stage 2 cams, wiseco 1100 big bore kit, Dynojet stage 3 jet kit with k&N pod filters, dyna S ign., Yosh 4 into 1, Barnet kevlar clutch pack,GSXR front end, GSXR rear suspension retro'd in with custom mono shock mounts, Buell m2 tail section with custom seat, GSXR wheels with 180 Pirelli Scorpion in the back. All on the '79 gs1000 frame engine and stock tank.
    Fast, powerful, and the only one on earth that looks like 'er!!

Comment

1085 Wiseco pistons,106 degree cam timing,welded/balanced/polished crank,Vance&Hines chrome megaphone,K&N chrome ovals,dynojet kit,Dyna 'S' ign'& coils,electrex R/R,V&H welded HD clutch basket.
      I stuck to one rule:make the bike perform better but NOT at the expense of dependability or driveability. The bike is much stronger than stock(10-15 HP?),wider powerband and gets the same gas mileage as new. I could do more radical mod's to try to keep up with today's bikes,but getting from point 'A' to point 'B' is still a lot of fun!
      Dollar for dollar,the 2 best things you can do to these bikes is:Electrex reg/rec' and a Dyna 'S' ign'&coils. Check this sites 'Stator Papers". Another good thing to do is change ALL the phillips heads to Allens. Engine cases,carb manifolds,floatbowls,stator,etc.
      Another good investment is Russell braided lines and drilling the discs. The brakes feel better and are quiet. Hope this helps! KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

There's alot to be gained w/ some simple mods. I'd start w/ rejetting and pod filters and a 4-1. As far as lighter goes, change the front end and both wheels. You should lose at least 30 lbs. Then I'd try to lower the bike. Most bikes have tons of extra ground clearance. There are lots of ways to get more performance at little cost.
        After you get comfortable, then I'd get into some mild head porting, etc. This site is great for help.

Paul Jones

Comment

thenks guys, I really liked the idea of lighter wheels, can't believe that never occured to me, what do some of you use, mine are the stock 1978 gs1000ec mags

Comment

You won't believe the difference in weight between a newer gsxr wheel and those old cast beasties.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              You won't believe the difference in weight between a newer gsxr wheel and those old cast beasties.
              Unsprung weight is the best place to start. Not only are the wheels lighter, the tires themselves are much lighter and more compliant than bias ply tires. With the stock wheels you have these high profile multi-ply tires. With newer wheels you have great low profile radials that roll easier and stick like crazy whether braking, accelerating, or turning.

Comment

GS 1000 performance mods

O.K. - so which modern replacement wheels fit the stock swinging arm? Only one I can think of is the GS500E. Anything bigger will snag the chain. AND then there will be problems mounting the disc/caliper. Any advice?

Comment

Re: dieting a gs1000

Originally posted by chev
                  Besides an aftermarket exhaust, what have y'all done to make one of these beasts a little lighter and quicker.
                  I know a GS1000 for sale with a Harris Magnum markI frame, weight is about 190KG or 400 pounds 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Originally posted by meanman
                    Andrews stage 2 cams, wiseco 1100 big bore kit, Dynojet stage 3 jet kit with k&N pod filters, dyna S ign., Yosh 4 into 1, Barnet kevlar clutch pack,GSXR front end, GSXR rear suspension retro'd in with custom mono shock mounts, Buell m2 tail section with custom seat, GSXR wheels with 180 Pirelli Scorpion in the back. All on the '79 gs1000 frame engine and stock tank.
                    do you hav a picture of "her" you could post?

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
                      Originally posted by meanman
                      do you hav a picture of "her" you could post?
                      pleaaaaassssseeeee 8O 8O
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

meanman, quick question

hey, i've got a 78 gs1000, and i'd like to put on wider tires, which gsxr swingarm would fit most easily on that frame, with the least modification. what year swingarm did you use??? also, do you, or anyone else know of a good place to get a dual round headlight swap that i can fit onto this bike??? i'd like to get a "speed triple" headlight look.

Comment

Working...
                        X