rusty gas tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rusty gas tanks

I found this article on maintaining the inside of your gas tank. it is worth reading.

This link seems to be shot dont use it.

Scotty,
    Sudco has a product that treats the rust without having to use anything to line the tank. It is even reusable. Look up Rustol on their products page. Sorry but there is no direct link to that page.

Comment

I had a friend of mine at a machine shop sandblast the inside of my tank. Of course he also did the outside too. This helped, since while he was blasting he watched sand pour out of several small pinholes. I had those welded. Tank looks like new. He said he used low airpressure since the tank is thin wall metal so it would not blow apart. Tnk has been in barn dry for a year awaiting reinstall and is completely free of rust still. I have never treated it with anything. Be sure to wash it out very well if you have this done,

Comment

Nice link Scotty! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
          Scotty,
          Sudco has a product that treats the rust without having to use anything to line the tank. It is even reusable. Look up Rustol on their products page. Sorry but there is no direct link to that page.

http://www.sudco.com/
          Billy,

It listes for $49.95...are there any cheaper alternatives at your local motorcycle shop?

Rudi

Comment

Check out POR15's MetalReady product. Great stuff and it's reusable.

They also have a complete clean and reline kit for $27.

Comment

How does that Kreem stuff work?

Comment

That Kreem stuff doesn't work Rudi,
                Get POR-15 it is a urethane with powdered aluminum mixed in.
                A far superior product.
                I've used both.
                No comparison, POR-15 RULES!!!!!

Mo

Comment

If you decide to go the liner route (after cleaning the inside of the tank) try your local radiator repair shop. Average price for a motorcycle shop is $90.00 to $130.00 when you factor in labor and materials. I've had three tanks done all for around $45.00 including cleaning and liner. My prices are California prices. If your local cycle shop will do it for less I'll bet you can still save at the radiator shop. Make sure they already seal car gas tanks, most do.

Comment

my god, can you get any more popups from one page!!!! I just got over eight from the link above! 8O I never even got to read it!!!!

no offense scotty, just a little suprised!!! it must have been all the people that opened it after you posted that made them think they had a gold mine!!! :roll:

Comment

so scotty, what did they say before it all went south?? I've been really thinking hard about what I could use to keep the rust from coming back if I don't coat it??

as background, I just used phosphoric acid to clean a tank (worked like a charm, except where it evaporated and things started to surface rust fast) and immediately had to put it on my bike while I dink with the original (all kinds of pinholes popping up, but I would like to keep it rather stock so I think I'll seal that one)

but I've been wondering if I could use any additive that would help keep the tank dry?? I doubt using acid in your gas is a good idea... but anyways, what did these guys say originally??

thanks!!!

oh yeah, and while I might have your attention, how hard is it to reverse your plan of knocking out the baffle to make a louder pipe? I've considered it but I would hate to change my bike for the worse on a permanent basis, just in case!!

Comment

Just took a GS tank to the radiator shop. Cost: $35.00, including blasting.

Mike

Comment

Tanks for nothing

When you say 'blasting at a radiator repair shop', are they doing the ouside and inside or are they leaving paint undamaged?

My GS 1000L that's been sitting for twenty years has TONS of rust and crap in the tank. I drained it two days ago of some nasty smelling fluid that may at one time have been gas.

Anybody ever heard of the product found at this link?

It claims to be the only tank cleaner/liner that's certified for use in aircraft (this sound excellent to me!) and the price seems right, too!

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
                            my god, can you get any more popups from one page!!!! I just got over eight from the link above! 8O I never even got to read it!!!!

no offense scotty, just a little suprised!!! it must have been all the people that opened it after you posted that made them think they had a gold mine!!! :roll:
                            pop..ups..? What are those? Must be something that comes with Internet Exploder.

Firefox rules.

Comment

Re: Tanks for nothing

Originally posted by highmileage
                              When you say 'blasting at a radiator repair shop', are they doing the ouside and inside or are they leaving paint undamaged?

My GS 1000L that's been sitting for twenty years has TONS of rust and crap in the tank. I drained it two days ago of some nasty smelling fluid that may at one time have been gas.

Anybody ever heard of the product found at this link?

It claims to be the only tank cleaner/liner that's certified for use in aircraft (this sound excellent to me!) and the price seems right, too!
                              Sounds good and a very reasonable price. Let us know if you try it. I'm curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X