X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing stains on secondary drive cover

1981 gs850g
    picture available upon request

there is a stain on my secondary drive cover. i'm not quite sure if it is a stain or if something spilled on it and ate away the outer layer. (looks like drips from the top down). is there a way to remove the stain or restore the outer layer? any suggestions would be welcome.

thx

metal polish and lots of elbow grease. Most any kind of polish will work, I hear mothers is good stuff, but you really have to rub the %$# out of it, and when you have no fingerprints left, your about half way there. In the end, all my stains came out, and my fingerprints grew back.

Comment

It is the clear-coat that is stained. Use a paint stripper (make sure its safe for aluminum). I did this to my cases and it took the clear coat right off and left the aluminum shiny. I wet sanded the cases (to polish off the corrosion where the clear-coat had failed) with 1000# emory paper and polished with Mother's. The cases looked very good. Initially, I did not remove the cases from the engine. I later had the iginition cover off and used a buffing wheel with a tripoli compound. I can't see much difference.

Just use the paint remover carefully and don't splatter it on any painted surface you don't want the paint removed from.

Comment

Working...
      X