LED Battery Guage, & LED License Plate Frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Battery Guage, & LED License Plate Frames

Just a note to let everyone know that Custom Dynamics has their LED license plate frames on sale, a modification that I added to my bike that looks good, works as it's supposed to, and hopefully increases my safety.
    They also have introduced an LED battery guage, that in light of our bikes service history with electrics, might be worth considering.
    Hey, I'm not a flak , just a satisfied customer!

Scott

i heard radio shack has a charge indicater for under 10 bucks. well its really a alt tester

Comment

Rick I used an LED license plate frame and wired it up to work in conjunction with my signal lights. I guess brakes or just running lights are other options.

Comment

I keep looking for a cheap used volt meter to mount into my side cover with an on off switch in series. I want to use it as an instant test of the output of the charging system

Comment

well scotty thats what the alt tester can be used for, if you go to www.650motorcycles.com there is a picture of a yama with that radio shack tester mounted above the instrument cluster.

Comment

Hey Rick, That XS650 site is excellent! There sure are a helluvalot of galleries. Where abouts is the pic with the cluster mounted gage?

Comment

www.650motorcycles.com/BillMurrin.html here it is

Comment

That will definitely do the trick Rick. Im am old goat and am looking for an analog guage though. Thanks. Ps i have one of those yammy 650s and i would only put an LED guage on that shaker. :? 8O

Comment

it shakes bad? i read somewhere on that site where they refaze the crank to fire differnt, whats that all about?

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                    it shakes bad? i read somewhere on that site where they refaze the crank to fire differnt, whats that all about?
                    the crank pin is repositioned to allow the pistons to be at 272 degrees in reference to one another..The standard engine has both pistons going up and down at the same time even though they fire at 180 degrees apart. The crank can be re phased to 270 degrees just by movins the pins over by one spline. Im nort sure if the figures are exact.
                    Just imagine what must be done to get the thing to fire on time. Ignition work.. cam mods.. Phoey. Let it shake. it is no speed demon any way

Comment

Here is an article on the rephasing with the correct figures.

the crankshaft is being rephased from 360 degrees to 277 degrees. The Yamaha XS650 motor shares the tradition of British twins, in that both pistons rise and fall together, alternating power strokes with every revolution. It is a simple design, but one with an inherently high level of vibration. Above 5,000 rpm, even the OHC XS motor begins to feel tight, as if it is being revved higher than it prefers. A solution to this problem is to rephase the crankshaft, where the pistons are no longer travelling in unison. With most bikes, this would be a difficult, even virtually impossible undertaking. Not so the Yamaha 650. For this motor, rephasing can be done quite easily because the crank halves are located on a splined centershaft. To rephase the Yamaha crank to 277 degrees requires rotating the right half of the crank assembly forward by three spline notches. The ideal location would be 270 degrees -- a point at which one piston is travelling at maximum velocity while the adjacent piston is travelling at zero velocity, but 277 is close enough for many folks. Some have rephased their XS650s to 270 degrees, but this requires a custom made splined center shaft to bring both cylinders to the proper 270/90 separation. It also requires another crank cheek from a donor motor. Me, I am in agreement with the folks who see 277 degrees as being close enough. Besides, it is quite a bit cheaper than doing the 270 degree mod -- and cost is a constant motivating factor for me.

The advantage to a rephased motor, be it 270 or 277, is that it revs much more freely, and loves to rev to higher rpms than 360-degree twins do. Plus, it sounds totally different. The 270 rephase sounds much like a Ducati or Moto Guzzi (both of which are 270 motors), while the 277, with a slightly closer together firing separation, sounds somewhat more like the "potato-potato" that Harley-Davidsons are known for. Cool, eh?

Rephasing the crank is the easiest part, however. The cam must also be altered, and the ignition must be revamped. Fortunately these details have been worked out. I will have Web Cam in Riverside, CA, regrind the right side lobes of the cam to the proper separation. As for the ignition, Newtronics makes a unit for the XS650, which can be modified for a 277 crank fairly easily. It involves fabricating a new backing plate for the sensors, and then giving them the correct spacing, actually a fairly simple task, given the right assortment of hand and power tools.

Comment

that sounds odd that both pistons are at tdc at the same time for a twin

Comment

Rick both pistons rising and falling together was SOP(standard operating procedure) forr the British motorcycle industry and being four stroke they just altenated which piston fired each time they hit TDC.
                          Dink

Comment

ahh i did not know that, thanks

Comment

Before I switched to an Electrex Regulator I invested in a tiny Dyna led charge indicator that I found in Dennis Kirk. It easily mounted on top of the existing gauges and would show under charge, normal and over charge using 3 different colored leds. I still have it on there and it has worked flawlessly. Cost about $50. Scotty it does the same thing that the voltage tester does and not nearly so obtrusive.http://www.dynaonline.com/english/cvmonitor.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X