Any quick 83 to 86 GS550 out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any quick 83 to 86 GS550 out there

Looking for ways to improve on my GS550 any ideas welcome.

upgrading gs550's

You may be waiting a long time for a reply on this one. I posted the same question months ago and so have got nothing. So on this one, I am flying by the seat of my pants. Wiseco used to make a 610cc piston kit but no longer. I heard of a guy who used Honda CBR600 pistons but that's about it. The local bike builders and mechanics around here advice is to flow the head, put on a 4into1 header, K&N filters and rejet the carbs. Okay, now here is what I am doing; I am having a GS650 top end machined to fit the GS550 bottom end. I will then follow up on the other advice and flow the head, put on the filters and exhaust. I may put on larger carbs and rejet as well. My bike is the T model which is a standart style, not the cruiser look. Probably the best thing that I am doing to improve performance is getting rid of as much weight as possible. I am converting the bike into a cafe racer look to carry only the rider. This has let me get rid of the heavy brackets that hold the passenger pegs. I also cut off the centerstand, side covers and all associated brackets. I got rid of the air box, seat rail and other bits as well. I have a box full of all the stuff and it weighs a lot. Next, I've put on a 1986 GSXR front end, wheels, rearsets and brakes, Metzler race tires and smaller signal lights. I am hoping to have the engine finished by early April and the bike running and sorted out my early May. Hopefully, it won't have been a complete waste of time and energy and MONEY! I'm hoping for a light, agile and relativally quick reproduction of the british cafe racer look.

Comment

You may be able to have the head milled to bump up compression. Squish area is important so you will need to find someone with experience. Too bad you can't get with Kevin Schwantz, he cut his teeth on a 550. He used to race at Aquafest in Austin, TX when he was just starting out. Here is a link to his website. Send an email, maybe he'll respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        You may be able to have the head milled to bump up compression. Squish area is important so you will need to find someone with experience. Too bad you can't get with Kevin Schwantz, he cut his teeth on a 550. He used to race at Aquafest in Austin, TX when he was just starting out. Here is a link to his website. Send an email, maybe he'll respond.
        http://www.kevinschwantz.com/noflash/noflashmain.htm
        I was reading Kevin's bio on that site and up popped a picture of a guy I know! Revon Craig owns the local Yamaha dealer here in Beaumont. I never knew that he was a close friend of the Schwantz family! I have been trying to buy a Penton from him for a while but he wants too much for it!

Hap

Comment

I don't know if these will fit for sure, but I saw this on ebay....

Good luck

Comment

Whoever's auction that is has one mistake or another. Either the year or bike model is wrong. Suzuki didn't make a 550 in '93. They are definitely 4 cylinder cams so they should work. Must be for an '83.

Comment

I noticed that too, but I thought it was a misprint or maybe the GS550E was continued in other countries....
              -Tim

Comment

Working...
              X