Sylvania SilverStar Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sylvania SilverStar Headlight

I recently purchased a 7" round Sylvania Silver Star Halogen Headlight, It was listed as "High performance."

So far the $24.99 headlight has worked great. It is a super white light, that really brightens the roadway. It doesn't draw any more current than the old 7" Stanley, (important for my old '79 GS 750e) but puts out about 50% more light. It's not listed as a "Motorcycle" headlight, maybe that will make a difference in a few more months, I'll let you know then. But for now, I highly recommend this upgrade for any aging bike. Hey it might make it easier for the cars to see us too.

Does anyone have a line on LED brake lights, the ones that would replace the standard 1175's with a lower draw but brighter light?

Keep the shiny side up, Herco

Bright Headlight

Herco,

Are you still pleased with your Sylvania headlight. Did you purchase a bulb or a full sealed beam unit? Where did you purchase?

DonP
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Herco. check Dennis Kirk for LED taillites they have ones that plug right into your existing socket with no need for an adapter kit.
      Doze.

Comment

I purchased the sealed unit, and yes I still like it. Thanks for the LED info also

Dave W.

Comment

I got one of the Sylvania Silver Star sealed beams for my bike, and I also would recommend it. It provides more light and is more visible. The other suggestions for increasing brightness such as cleaning the grounds and installing a relay are also good ones. But whatever else you might do, the Siver Star should offer an improvement on the light you would otherwise have. And there isn't much easier to do than changing out your headlamp. it is a bit pricey though.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

auto zone has drop in led replacements for the brake light, really made a differnce

Comment

Is there a round sealed beam unit that would be a "drop in" on a '82 GS1100E? Any ideas on where to get it?? It seems that dennis kirk doesn't carry of these bulbs.

Regarding the LED taillights, which work better - the "laser" or the "strobe"?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

I found the Silverstar bulbs at a local AutoZone. They were around $20. The pattern, brightness and color are WAY better than stock. I put them in all my bikes.
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

careful w/ LED's

Be careful w/ what brand LED's you buy guys...some are DIM! I actually got some for my 650 and they were DIMMER than the stock filament bulbs. You get what you pay for, so beware obscure brands and low low prices. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry fellows, when I first bought the light I loved it. I was then riding through Mount Gretna, Pa. a peaceful little town with one or two street lights. It was about 11pm and very dark when the inside bulb decided to break after hitting a bump. Instant darkness at 45 mph. I have since upgraded to an H-4 replacement bulb and housing (7" round) from JC Whitney. It is fantastic and made for the abuses a m/c can put out. I bought an extra bulb too. The whole deal, housing and two 55/60 watt Halogen bulbs (one came with the housing) came in at $30.00. The light is WHITE and patterned perfectly. The housing mounted easily with no mod's. It was probably the best $30 I've spent on the bike.

Dave W.
                    Mount Joy, Pa

Comment

Working...
                    X