What are the best tires for the GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the best tires for the GS?

I Have a 1979 GS 1000 can anyone recommend tires that provide the best compromise between performance and durability. I have found some nice sport touring tires for the rear but nothing that fancy that will fit that big front wheel. Let me know what tires everyone likes. Thanks

I run Dunlop GT501's front and rea.
    Love em
    Real good in the rain and they wear well.

Shop around, you can deal on them, like with Dennis Kirk or MAWonline.

Keith
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I'm using bridgestone spitfires right now. The front is great, the rear is not.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
        I'm using bridgestone spitfires right now. The front is great, the rear is not.
        Whats wrong with the rear Tim???

Comment

I am using Dunlop Elite K491 front and back on my 82 GS1100G.

I used Bridgestone Spitfires front and back on my 79 GS1100E when I had it. :roll:

Michael

Comment

When I had my Virago I read an article by Joe Minton in Motorcyclist magazine recommending Continental tires.

I tried them and liked them.

Now I use them on my GS650.

They seem fine in the rain although I'm no speed demon, especially when the roads are wet.

Del

Comment

I have a 78 GS1000.

The best front I have had lately is the ME33 Metzler. Excellent steering, handling and grip, and the wear looks good. I tend to like grip over wear in tyres, the ME33 seems to do both. It also goes with virtually any other rear.

At the moment I am using a Dunlop GT301 Arrowmax, great grip in cold and heat, wear will be less than 8000kms. I had a spitfire, slipped too much on cold roads for my liking, but probably a good touring tyre choice as ok in the wet. I run off the edge of the back tyre, so my comments are based on how the tyre performs when used like this.

Oh yes, I have a 1080 kit, flowed head, stage 3 cams etc so the power has to get to the ground somehow!

Comment

I always liked the ME33 too when I had stock wheels. It's been replaced in the Metzeler line by the 330. I ran the 33 with Pirellis, Dunlops, Continentals, and Bridgestones. Worked well no matter what rear I ran.

Comment

Has anybody used the Pirelli Sport Demons? How are they for lasting, grip, and so forth?

Comment

Whats wrong with the rear Tim???
                    The rear is wearing out in the center after about 5000 miles :? For a touring tire I would've expected better.... It's also pretty slippery when cold, however it works well in the rain.... Go figure, huh :roll:

I have had no problems at all out of the front tire though.... It works great in all conditions

Comment

I love my Metzelers!!!

Comment

I have to agree with Jeff, I love my Metzlers. I have an ME77 on the rear. The wear has been terrific and the grip is still there in cold weather.

Comment

I have to agree with Jeff, I love my Metzlers. I have an ME77 on the rear. The wear has been terrific and the grip is still there in cold weather.

Comment

I have a Metzeler ME33 ready to go on the front...have to choose between buying a Metzeler ME55 Metronic or the newer design ME550 for the rear....the 550 is actually cheaper than the 55 ...the guy at the store says the metronic is a better match though, as the 550 thread is designed to match the 330 front, and the 33 with the 55,77 or the 99 make up the best combo...not sure if theres any truth to that, but heard from another riderthat the metronic is better suited to sport riding as its a softer compound than the newer 550 which offers more mileage. What do you guys think? Oh yeah, I am changing from the stock B'stone Mag-mopus Suzuki OEM tires ( for safety reasons, though they have only 1200 miles on them).
                            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

The ME33 worked well with every rear tire combination I ever threw at it. I never tried a Metronic so I can't speak about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X