Removing Side Cover Suzuki Emblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Side Cover Suzuki Emblems

I am about to start repainting my GS850G and have been working on preping the plastic parts. Does anyone know how to take off the GS850G emblems off the side covers without breaking the small tabs on the back? They are held on with small metal clips that go on to pegs that stick through the side cover. I thought that I could pry those clips off but I don't think I can do it without breaking a peg off. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Terry

Requires some fine long nose pliers, a little bit of dexterity, and a lot of patience.

Don't rush the job!!

Usually the emblems are held on with "speed nuts" or "speed clips" or whatever they're called - I can't remember. The two little tabs on the clips "dig in" to the pegs and need to be levered/prised away - very gently.

I have done this many times before with small, very fine long nose pliers - the type used in electronics work are the best for this job.

Good luck!

Comment

I think the easiest way to get them off is to cut them off, and when you replace, put on new clips. Local hardware/auto parts store should have the same or similar clips.

Comment

I agree, use a Dremel moto-tool and a cut off disc and carefully cut them off! But before you do, go the shop and buy replacements for repacing the emblems after the paint job. Then just slip them on.
        GY

Comment

On my GS850 I used lots of WD-40 (the clips were rusty) and just pulled the clips off with some pointed pliers.

I refitted the emblems, took a red hot knife, and melted the ends of the pins, until the tips were flat. Something I remembered from building model planes when I was still young and immortal....

Comment

before you decide to melt the emblems on, consider what you might do if you paint the bike again down the road. If you think those clips are hard to get off, try unmelting the pins.

Comment

Just bend back one of the prongs a LITTLE and they come off, or bend both if you want. Push the prong back the way it was and re-use. Push them back on evenly with a small socket. Push down just enough to make emblem flush with panel.
              If you push too hard,you can crack the emblem. KK.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I am in the middle of the same project. I hope the new clips hold those emblems. I would sure hate to lose one. Would a little silicone be added insurance?

Comment

Side Cover Emblem Replacement

I just repainted my '82 850GL. I had the same issue with removing/replacing the clips that held on the emblems. My clips were in such bad shape that I didn't bother trying to salvage them, so I just pried up a corner with a flat-blade screwdriver and clipped them off with a pair of side-cutters.

When it came time to replace them, I consulted my local rain-man all-things-motorized guru type. Without telling him what the emblems were from, he said, "Oh, you ride a Suzuki. Looks like an '82. You need #6 push nuts to put these back on." Spooky. Especially since he rides a Harley.

Sure enough, I swung into my nearby Ace Hardware and bought 4 #6 push nuts for 7 cent each. Worked perfectly.

Comment

Terrybird, try using urethane, the black stuff used for installing windshields, instead of silicone. It holds better and doesn't cause problems if you ever decide to repaint.
                    Doze.

Comment

Re: Side Cover Emblem Replacement

Originally posted by tmashek
                      When it came time to replace them, I consulted my local rain-man all-things-motorized guru type. Without telling him what the emblems were from, he said, "Oh, you ride a Suzuki. Looks like an '82. You need #6 push nuts to put these back on." Spooky.
                      Had a fellow like that at the local scrapyard outside Amarillo, Tx. He could identify any part on sight for what it came out of. He could aslo tell you any part that could be used to substitute for any part without modification.

I took in a shot-to-hell '64 International Harvester Scout 800 single barrel carb and asked if he had any. He identified what it came out of right off the bat, and directed me to find a '73 Gremlin because the mounts would line up perfectly and the flow rate was fully compatable.

Be damned if it wasn't exactly as he said. 8O

Comment

Ok, had to revive this because Im having a similar problem...

A month or so ago, I was headed to the video store, when something kept poking me in the leg. When I got there, I found my side cover emblem hanging on by 1 peg, very loosely. the other "push nut" came off and I almost lost my emblem! Not wanting it to fall off, I took out my knife and pried off the other push nut, and put the emblem in my jacket. After having it gather dust next to my computer for a while, Ive finally decided to reattach it.
                        Ive said all that to ask this: Has anyone tried to cut threads on the little posts and put a nut on them? Or should I just get the new clips, and they will be strong enough to hold it? Maybe put a dab of hot glue on the post after I put the clips back on?

Comment

I would use the clips. If installed right and in good shape, they won't come off. Use a dab of silicone sealant over the clips if you feel better.
                          Be careful of glue. Some glues react with plastic.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Silicone like the RTV gasket-making stuff? I have some of that around the house.... It doesent have to be clear, does it?

Comment

Originally posted by jhw84
                              Silicone like the RTV gasket-making stuff? I have some of that around the house.... It doesent have to be clear, does it?
                              I don't think it matters if it's clear or not. I was talking 100% silicone.
                              The blue RTV stuff might be OK, but I've never tried it on plastic. Read the warnings on the tube. It should say if it shouldn't be used on plastics.
                              I still think the clips will work fine by themselves if installed right.

Comment

Working...
                              X