nose job...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nose job...

hey everyone, I need some input. I have a 1980 750E, with the huge headlight assembly. I have already changed out the original bars with some drag-style jobbies, and some nice new grips and mirrors. the bike is looking pretty good, but headlight is looking too bulky and big.
    This is where I need the help, I want to change out the entire cluster and lamp, with two 3" headlamps side by side, and a seperate speedo and tach section. My question is has anyone done anything close to this and about how much time/$$$ is this mod going to take?? any and all input is welcome and very much appreciated. Thanks, Dominick.........

Sounds like a heck of a project. My 1980 GS850G has a separate Speedo/Tach, along with gear indicator, turn signals and idiot lights. I suppose one like it could be fitted to your bike. I think to change out the headlight to what you are thinking will require some creativity. You might be able to get an OEM part for one of the newer bikes to fit on your front end. Just a thought.

Comment

I was actually thinking the same thing. I was going to use a pair of aftermarket round driving lights. The pair I have even have a remote control to turn them on, but any pair from Wal-Mart would work and be pretty inexpensive.

Comment

I have a pair of aftermarket rounds attached to my fairing as driving lights. They work great to illuminate the area right in front of the bike and off to the sides, but they certainly don't throw the light down the road like my headlight does. I would reccomend caution if contemplating using driving lights as a replacement to a good headlight.

Comment

I was just thinking about my previous post and should add the following. When I installed my driving lights I was concerned about the additional draw off of the stock Suzuki electrics (this was before buying and installing a Electrex stator and R/R). So what I did was replace the 12 volt bulbs with 6 volt bulbs and run them in series. Maybe 2 running lights with stock 12 volt bulbs in parallel would be able to handle the job as headlight replacements. Just another thought. I should stop that. Too many thoughts in a row can burn me out.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I expected to have to fabricate something to mount the headlamps, but I'm not worried about that. I'm pretty creative and not bad with tools. I was looking for things like the current draw from two lights rather than just the stock one, I hadn't thought about that.
            I've looked for new speedo and tach units, the only places I've seen them wanted over two hundred a piece, and that seems pretty steep to me. Is this the case? if it is, then I'll pay that much, but I'd rather not get taken on this. Anyone have any ideas?? I appreciate the help. Dom.......

Comment

Look in JCWhitney, they have a speedo and tach for $35.99 each. They have 2 5/8" o.d., 2 1/4" face, 160mph, 12,000rpm, and mount to the handle bars. I'm thinking about getting them for my bike. Good luck

Comment

Also check out ebay. Lots of GSs get parted out there.

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
                  I was just thinking about my previous post and should add the following. When I installed my driving lights I was concerned about the additional draw off of the stock Suzuki electrics (this was before buying and installing a Electrex stator and R/R). So what I did was replace the 12 volt bulbs with 6 volt bulbs and run them in series. Maybe 2 running lights with stock 12 volt bulbs in parallel would be able to handle the job as headlight replacements. Just another thought. I should stop that. Too many thoughts in a row can burn me out.
                  what wattage 12 volt bulb was in the bike originally and what are the individual wattages of the 2 six volt bulbs, If you have the information Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X