• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dial-a-jet?

Hey GS fans!
    Anyone heard of this thing before?

Good?/Bad? [/url]

Use to see it advertised all the time in the '80s. First time I've seen it mentioned in a long time. Never had any experience with them though.

Comment

I have a friend that just got a set for his bike. They're not on yet, but i'll keep you posted on the progress. I'll take notes on installation too, as he wants me there when he does it. The whole premise -seems- plausible, though I'm no engineer.

Comment

I was thinking of getting a carb jet-kit for my '85 1150 ef
        but these dial-a-jets sound even better.(sound being the operative word.)
        Any word on price?

Comment

Dial a jet

If anyone does this I would love to know how it works...I did check pricing...$179.99...kinda pricey!

Comment

Well my friend put his Dial-a-Jets on yesterday, it went pretty well. To put them in you need to replace your float drains with a special nipple, and also drill into the carb intake boots for installing the actual unit. The key is to find the best place for this for easiest adjustability, and make sure you like where it is when you drill He changed his mind after one hole and had to seal it up. The unit adjusts with a screwdriver, but there's supposed to be a lot of overlap between the settings, as this is SUPPOSED to eliminate time consuming diddling with the carbs. There are also a couple small air intake snorkels to put on the units, and have them face forward. The whole thing is impossible to see on the bike with the tank and seat on (he has a Honda Shadow 1100), and even with them off you only know it's there if you know what to look for. My friend has very little mechanical experience of the automotive variety, and did most of the job before I got there (he wanted me to look in on it because though I'm not a mechanic I've broken far more things than him) with only the one mishap of changing his mind about the hole. I have to say though that he runs a guitar repair shop, which gives him a head start. Watching him improvise a way to get the stubborn heat shielding on the carb-jet lines was a work of art

Well that's installation, we'll be going for a ride today so I'll let you know how they seem to work, and how much trouble (if any) he has dialing them in. He's basically looking to have his plugs brown instead of white, which became an issue after he removed a baffle from his pipes. He also put a K&N in during the installation, so that will put even more demand on the thing.

Oh one other thing about installation, he mentioned that the instructions sent with it were'n so great for his bike, they mostly cover four carb installation (good for us I guess), he went to a Shadow forum for good instructions.

Comment

Working...
            X