Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some morning rides are more interesting than others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some morning rides are more interesting than others.

I left about 8 am this Sunday morning for a ride headed northeast from Naples Fl, around the east side of Lake Ocheechobee and then back south on the west side of the lake. It was to be a relaxing wandering through 300 miles of orange groves in blossom, country roads, farms and lakefront. For the most part, it was. :-) I was cruising along around 9am on a narrow, deserted farm road with thick overgrowth on both sides to within 25 feet of the pavement. All was serene. :-) Until................
    A bush exploded on my left and two deer bounded out to cross the road about 40 feet in front of me. It was immediately obvious that if something didnt change, we would converge VERY SOON. It wasnt possible to stop before I reached them, so I jumped on both brakes and swerved hard left towards the deer. It was the one place I could count on them not being when I got there. The next thing I see is the same bush exploding again and another pair of deer heading my way. Deer #1 made it across in front of me easily, deer#2 just barely cleared and I could have patted her on the rump as she passed. Number#3 was 20 feet behind her and he was going to T-bone me broadside, so I nailed the throttle, swerved back hard right and ducked flat on the tank. Number #3 jumped over the bike, clearing me by an easy 2 feet. Number 4 went by a couple feet behind my rear tire. The whole event probably only took about 1 1/2 seconds, but it sure did seem like deer would be coming forever. :-) :-) Time stopped and I got a close look at those four faces so I'll recognize them the next time. :-) :-) :-) A little while later, I remembered to start breathing again. eh eh eh

It rather reminds me of that old Roger Miller song, "You cant motorcycle in a deer herd".

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

A little closer to nature than I'd care for, lucky you made it through that herd with the rubber side down . I would have had to go home to change the undercarriage after that.

Comment

Wow
      Glad yer ok Earl. Now just to change the subject a bit, when i was riding last week and this week i got a scent of something that reminded me of the honey suckle but it didnt seerm exactly as i remembered. Could this be the time of year for an orange blossom???

Comment

Thats what it is Scotty. Miles and miles of orange blossoms. Its just like being caught in ten tons of honeysuckle. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
        Wow
        Glad yer ok Earl. Now just to change the subject a bit, when i was riding last week and this week i got a scent of something that reminded me of the honey suckle but it didnt seerm exactly as i remembered. Could this be the time of year for an orange blossom???

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

For once, being on a bike was a great advantage. I would not have been able to avoid them if I had been in my truck.

Earl

Originally posted by Gerry
          A little closer to nature than I'd care for, lucky you made it through that herd with the rubber side down . I would have had to go home to change the undercarriage after that.

Comment

Glad you're ok Earlfor. I don't know how you did it, but you got yourself out of a potentially disastrous situation.

Comment

It was probably more the luck of the Irish than any other factor. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by carmen
              Glad you're ok Earlfor. I don't know how you did it, but you got yourself out of a potentially disastrous situation.

Comment

Generally speaking, the luck of the Irish is indeed the determining factor a good part of the time. You were lucky; I wasn't. I'm still "Sir Deerslayer" in this forum. Hope no one else gets to claim my royal title...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  Generally speaking, the luck of the Irish is indeed the determining factor a good part of the time. You were lucky; I wasn't. I'm still "Sir Deerslayer" in this forum. Hope no one else gets to claim my royal title...
                  Sounds like you almost lost your title Nick. Glad you got out of it ok Earl.

Comment

Thank God you're OK. I've had a couple of 'close ones' but never one like that.No question about it; the longer I ride motorbikes the more I love deer hunters!

Comment

Critters...

Great one Earl!!!!!
                      Probably thought you were some sort of mechanized cougar looking for a meal & thats why they jumped!
                      Rick......
                      Close only counts in horseshoes, hand-grenades & nuclear warheads.

Comment

I think you can rest easy Nick, I havent any aspirations for that exhalted title. :-) :-) :-) I'm going to stick with "bugslayer". :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Nick Diaz

Comment

It could well be a deer hunter that caused them to spook in the first place. I dont consider deer hunters a positive influence relative to motorcycles and deer movement. An odd thing in retrospect; its been offered that deer are totally unpredictable. I agree that when they will appear is unpredictable, but the four in question, once sighted, were very predictable for two seconds and 50 feet of distance covered. The only thing not predictable was if number 3 would jump when presented with the lowest possible hurdle. I thought it was very probable, but that was the best I could do on such short notice. :-) :-) I'll still take the deer in preference to the blue haired kamakaze cager.

Earl

Originally posted by jimcor
                          Thank God you're OK. I've had a couple of 'close ones' but never one like that.No question about it; the longer I ride motorbikes the more I love deer hunters!

Comment

Hey Earl...what a story man.
                            Glad you got out of it.
                            But I just have to ask....were your eyes closed at anytime during this "Dances with Deers" episode ????

Comment

Hey Earl...what a story man.
                              Glad you got out of it.
                              But I just have to ask....were your eyes closed at anytime during this "Dances with Deers" episode ????

Comment

Working...
                              X