Blink of an EYE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blink of an EYE

I recently had a mishap and would like to hear from others who have had a slip, fall, slide or crash for what seems like 1/1000 second of distraction, or the blink of an eye.
    I was riding at night on a two lane road in a neighborhood I am very familiar with. i was approaching a curve which I knew had pine needles on the ground from a tree which hung over it. To my left I could see a truck pulling from a parking lott toward the road. I glanced for a split second ashis headlight caught me. as I turned back I was less than ten feet from those needles on the highest part of the curve. I wasn't going fast but let fear get the worst of me. I apparently hit my front brake and bang my bike went to the side of the road. I got a little road rash and she got a dent in the tank but no real damage. I picked her up and scurried home, feeling more stupid than hurt, I never should have hit the brake and wasn't imediately aware I even did it. but it only took a blink to be in trouble.

Distractions

DE:
    I think that we all can't monitor everything around us at all times ,but rather we have to allocate our time better. My biggest mishap was me doing all what I should as to attention allocation, but it was just poor luck on my part.I was occupied glancing to the left noting traffic when I looked forward again to see my obstacle .SEE--'front tire blowout'
    Rick.......

Comment

I hit a pebble in a parking lot while on the death valley run. I was just moving around the lot and bingo i went down. Things like this are bound to happen. Glad you are ok.

Comment

I think the most embarrassing thing I have done is to pull off on th side of the road and neglect to note a slight incline and wet grass.
        Stopped, put a foot down and it slowly slid out leaving me to lay the bike on the ground in slow motion. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
        I hit a pebble in a parking lot while on the death valley run. I was just moving around the lot and bingo i went down. Things like this are bound to happen. Glad you are ok.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Hey Demanz:

Don't be too hard on yourself. You were not hurt because you approached the situation at slow speed, which provided you with a margin for error. Whenever approaching a curve or intersection I think we should all slow down and expect the unexpected, this way if we do go down, we stand a good chance of walking away to ride another day. When I was a lot younger, I used to approach every curve thinking I was Kenny Roberts. It's amazing I only went down once ( also at slow speed). Like someone once said, " there are old riders and bold riders, but there are no old-bold riders."

Comment

I find that I watch "potential" threats to my health for too long. Sometimes when I'm scanning the road ahead I'll see something and lock onto it rather than keep scanning and checking back on the threat. This has led to me getting in trouble as there are more dangerous people ahead of me.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
              I find that I watch "potential" threats to my health for too long. Sometimes when I'm scanning the road ahead I'll see something and lock onto it rather than keep scanning and checking back on the threat. This has led to me getting in trouble as there are more dangerous people ahead of me.

Steve
              I find that true also and i tend to drift in the direction of what i am looking at. Its hard to keep an eye straight ahead in florida in the beach areas. Too windy.

Comment

I don't really remember what happened when I went down, but logically it seems like I hit the front brake in a split second of panic. I had been screwing around a little in a parking lot when my leather jacket caught on the wrist saver on my throttle. Somehow this caused the bike to race forward, and those 1100's can move in the powerband in first gear (which I usually revel in...). At that point, I was headed torward a main road out of the parking lot, and the next thing I know my bike and I were sliding along the pavement. I don't know how I went down, but I think I must have hit the front brake in a panic cause I was headed for the road at an alarming quick pace. You're lucky you were able to ride home. I smashed up my iginition, and that's going to be expensive... Hopefully by the end of summer...
                I'm glad you're ok.

Comment

Working...
                X