Pop, snarl, snarl pop POP, FINE I'LL GO! Just Kidding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop, snarl, snarl pop POP, FINE I'LL GO! Just Kidding

alright, so here's the deal, I just got my bike out of storage, it's a 1979 GS1000 Rat Bike (it's hodgepodge really) The thing starts, idles, and goes, but when I threw open the throttle to pass a slow truck It went pop, snarl, snarl, pop, POP, GO, no, GO, no, GOOOOOOO! Maybe I'm jumping the gun calling you guys into the fight, due to the fact that it was 39 and rainy when I left storage, and 28 and rainy when I got here, to write this, and the problems occured in between. Here's the setup: Stock 1978 GS750 carbs with 100 main jets (stock pilots I think) with POD airfilters, and a 4 into 1 exhaust, electrical ignition and 750 coils... yeah, it's a mess, I think it's running lean, but with the rain I didn't wanna pull a plug... what do you guys think?

With the temp being cold, I would bet on it being lean. Raise your needles half notch and it may go away. You may want to check your plugs before you do that.

Comment

It sounds a bit lean however you can get similar problems from a weak spark.
      On overrun (thats When throttle closed and slowing down) do you get any mild popping in the pipe? What this indicates is your mixture due to the ignition sense being taken off the crank it fires a spark on the exhaust stroke as well and if you are on the rich side it will pop and bang a bit on overrun. I use this , along with other, as to an indication as to where my mixture is at.

Comment

If the coils gret a little damp. SOMETIMES there will be a short to ground. I am plagued with that problem. I have plug wire boots(on the coil) that are the wrong size and i believe that the rain makes a path for the current to go to ground. old wires. bad spark plug caps and sometimes a loosely mounted aftermarket coil will cause the same symptom. I have been too lazy to correct the problem but in my case something grounds out as soon as a bit of water gets on the bike. That is when i get that intermitting throttle response.

Comment

Working...
        X