Drag Bike...Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag Bike...Need help!

Hi all , a mate of mine in Australia is making a drag Katana , he was wondering if anyone had any tips ...here is his post.
    I know a few of you guys have had drag bikes so thought this was the best place to come!

KEV SAID:

"Just thought I'd drop a note to say I've decided to build a drag kat out of my spare parts just for fun.COOL hu?So far a mate and I have slit the cases on my old Kat motor only to find 3rd and 5th gears are rooted.He fixed that prob today with an angle grinder.Under cut gears now.The upside down forks on mine will go on the drag bike and I'll put the Bandit front on mine.Hopefully have it running in about 2 months if not earlier.So any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated.We've never built something like this before so it will be a bit of a challenge.Should look pretty cool with GSXR monoshock rear(ridgid),upsidedown forks,clip ons,extended swingarm(maybe),1166 big bore(all ready in it),maybe even 42mm flatslide carbs ."
    Kev

Put an air shifter on it at the very least. And a Dyna two step rev limiter for the launch. A two step rev limiter, if you don't know, has a high limit for over rev protection, and a low limit for perfect launches. The low limit is activated by a switch (could be clutch switch). So for a launch you engage the switch, nail the throttle, and the two step holds your rpm at say, 3500 with the throttle WFO. So all you have to do is dump the clutch and release the switch at the same time, and you go flying off down the tarmac, WFO, hitting the air shift button, and getting the win. :twisted:

Comment

If its going only to the strip you want wheelie bars and a small slick.you should put it on the biggest diet you can imagine. Iwould go with a shift light so you will make all your shifts at the same time. In dragracing at the strip consistency is more important than speed. when you finish your motor you should get it dyno'd so you know were peak horspower is and tourqe, then you can set your shift points accordingly.

Comment

Make sure you get your clucth basket strenghend or replaced with one that has the rivits welded and the heavy duty backing plate. Stock clutch basket failures are common at the strip and they can destroy your whole motor!

Comment

Working...
        X