Canines & felines....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canines & felines....

Tell me ,what is it with cats & dogs....dogs are kinda stupid chasing us and all, cats you rarely "run into"....
    My first and only (fortunately) encounter with a cat was late at night coming back from the 7-11 & I noticed her cutting across my path at thirty or so. She stopped short spun onto her back and seemed to claw the air a short two feet away as I sped past. Great reactions I thought!
    My other 'encounter with a dog was the complete opposite!
    Me and my riding buddy were heading back to town from the coast & the time was getting later than we anticipated and by the time we crested the coast range out light was gone. It was a great warm spring day and all the bugs had come out.
    Running a rather straight stretch from little town to little town we went thru these swarms of bugs. After three or so of these encounters we opted to stop at one of these towns to clean off our faceshields. As we slowed to enter a town we noticed some locals out and about enjoying the weather. As a group cut across our path as we slowed, I noticed the mutt.
    I clipped the critter square in the jaw at twenty or so & saw the poor thing spin around off my right. GREAT....explain it all to the owner I thought!
    As we dismounted I noticed it was all a gaggle of pre-teen girls.
    We came upon the dog all wagging of the tail as if nothing had happened!
    "OOOOO,..OOOO the dog seemed to say .....somebody new...wag,wag"
    We all 'inspected' the dog , me on the mouth because thats' where I nailed him......no damage......He/she seemed to be of the not too bright breed.......WHEW! Really quite the goofy experience.
    Rick..........

we are getting into the dog-bug-bee-bird and Bambi season now--arent we. Ill bet there will be more new interesting stories to follow this one in the next couple of months.

Comment

Some animals are resilient beyond belief.

When I got my first car I was driving down a neighbourhood street at about 30mph and saw a dog standing still on the sidewalk. Somehow, I KNEW the dog would jump in front of the car, so I hit the brakes hard!

As the car stopped, the dog rolled sideways several times in front of me, evidently hit by the car bumper, then tore off home.

Another time I was standing on a sidewalk, about to cross the street, when a cat walked underneath a car on the opposite side. The car was stopped in traffic, but started moving just then, and I watched the rear wheel of the car roll completely over the hindquarters of the cat, squashing it flat.

I knew it could not live through that, but the cat got up and continued on its way before the next car reached it. Amazing!
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

My buddy's cat cat hit by a car. He's still around, but his purr sounds like a bunch of marbles rattling around in cylinder! 8O
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I survived intact an encounter with a deer while in college on my 750E. On a fall afternoon ride on backroads thru the piney woods of North Louisiana, I had a doe come out of some roadside brush and cross my path. At app. 50 mph I saw her a split second before impact. I had just started to swerve when I hit her in the rear with my front tire. I caught the last 6 inches of her rear and spun her around several times into a ditch. Nasty headshake but I was able to maintain control and just as I stopped, I saw her hightail thru the brush. Other than shaken up, no damage to me or the bike. Very lucky I suppose, and not the last time I have been a pain in the a$$ to a woman. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

You are indeed lucky OldschoolGS, we had an 80 lb. doe do that in front of our ambulance back in the 80's totaled the grill and hood of our unit. We had to be towed 40 miles to the nearest town.

Comment

Peter Egan had a great column in about '96 about a late friend of mine's encounter with a deer on his GT750 Duc. I was going to post a link, but now that his book of reprinted columns came out, they don't print the columns online anymore. Anyway, it's called "Of Dogs and Deer."
              "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Working...
              X