Tip for replacing fork caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip for replacing fork caps

Everyone who has replaced their fork caps knows what a hassle it can be to get them started. Especially when you're on your own. I came up with what I consider an ingenious method when I replaced my fork oil this weekend.
    I took a 3/4" wooden dowel approximately 8" long and filed a flat spot on the side at one end. The flat spot makes contact with the top of the cap and the body of the dowel presses against the handlebar. Lifting up on the dowel, pushes the cap down squarely against the fork tube threads. The shape of the dowel enables you to get an open end wrench on the nut and turn it while maintaining pressure on the nut.
    I bet I've replaced a couple dozen cap nuts over the years and sweated the job every time. My only disappointment and surprise is that it took me so long to think of this.
    Now that I think if it, I hope at least one person reading this hasn't thought of this idea before. LOL

Well I know I haven't, and I'll be changing my fork oil soon... for the first time ever, so THANKS!! In fact I'm going to search on it soon to find the ins and outs - it's amazing I haven't had to ask one question here yet, they all get answered when I do a search. I'm loving this.

Comment

Fork Tube Caps?

Another proven method is to aquire a 3/8ths drive "speed handle" ( looks like a crank handle ) and use an appropriatly sized socket. This allows the user to apply downward pressure on the cap and rotate the cap to thread it. This tool allows good control with out excessive force which may strip the treads on the cap. Also very good for removing caps. A 3/8ths drive also gives you a tool for many other bike related tightening or loosening tasks when used with your socket set.
      A great tool to add to your toolbox.

Comment

I push down on the cap and turn the upper fork tube until a couple of threads catch............works everytime!

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Wow! I just replaced the seals on my forks last week, I wish I would have thought to use a speed wrench!!! Man that would have been alot easier.
          Having the fork loose from the front end and trying to replace the cap was a nightmare! I almost put my eye out !!!

Comment

This is definately a situation where you need safety glasses and a lot of distance between you and your Mercedes. It's even worse when putting in inch and a half long spacers. I managed to eject the contents of my forks over my shoulder. 8)

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X