Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on painting my GS850

Hello everyone,

I am planning on repainting my gas tank and side covers on my 850 this year, but I have a couple of questions. I have read the info on painting here, but I am doing things a little differently.

First, I wanted a custom color, so I had paint mixed at a local automotive store. They recommended a basecoat/clearcoat paint job for durability. I bought the paint and the corresponding reducer. The paint is PPG Deltron.

My questions are: 1. Can I use any primer ( I prefer a sandable primer), or do I need to use a PPG primer? and 2. Do I need to use the PPG clearcoat?

The reason I ask is because when they started adding up the cost, it went up in a hurry. I am not trying to be cheap, just economical. If I need to get the PPG stuff, I will. I am in no hurry to get this done, because I am painting my spare gas tank. The only parts that would have to come off the bike are the side covers.

Any information and advice you can give me would be a great help.

thanks,

Brandon

Brandon, you don't need to use the PPG primer but make sure that you do use a good catalized urethane or epoxy primer. Laquer primer is a no-no under basecoat/ clearcoat. The same goes for the clear. Use an acrylic urethane clear, there are several brands that are inexpensive. But keep in mind that the PPG clear will have the UV inhibitors to protect your investment for a long time, that the others might not have.
    Doze.

Comment

Thanks Doze,

That's what I was waiting to here. Actually I got a pretty good break last night while my buddy and I were doing the machine work on the head of my bike. He told me his brother or brother-in-law(I can't remember which) was an autobody man and could probably paint my tank and side covers for me. He told me not to get the clear coat yet. I am going to go ahead and sand my spare tank down to the metal and prime it, so all it will need is painting and clearcoating.

Brandon

Comment

Working...
      X