Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! What are a good set of carbs to buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! What are a good set of carbs to buy???

If I wanted to change my stock carbs to a new set...what would be my options? Specifically speaking, what set of carbs can I choose from for my 1980 GS1100E?

Thanks! :-)

Rudi

Re: What are my carb options for 1980 GS1100E?

Originally posted by Rudi
    If I wanted to change my stock carbs to a new set...what would be my options? Specifically speaking, what set of carbs can I choose from for my 1980 GS1100E?

Rudi
    Do you have 34mm carbs on there now??

Comment

Re: What are my carb options for 1980 GS1100E?

Originally posted by slopoke
      Originally posted by Rudi

Rudi
      Do you have 34mm carbs on there now??
      to be honest, I don't know! I know they are the original stock carbs in there...not sure if they are 34mm. When I get home I can find out in the shop manual.

P.S. Slopoke, could you be a gent and check my thread in the Tech section concerning "Main fuse keeps blowing after Dyna S installation.HELP!"? Would appreciate your thoughts on the subject... Trying to troubleshoot the problem before I break down and bring the bike to the mechanic. (a matter of pride, I admit)

Rudi

Comment

A friend of mine has fitted a set of GSXR carbies on his 1982 Katana .
        Do you know if these are compatible with a GS as well as a GSX??
        It would be a great swap . Does anyone else know if they are compatible?

cheers katana

Comment

I am running Mikuni 34mm flat slides off a 86 GSXR1100 on my 83 GS750ED. They bolt right up to the intake boots- I believe all the oil-cooled pre 1993 GSXR carbs bolt up the same. On the 750's, I know the 85 GSXR 750 used 29mm, 86 GSXR 750 used 31mm, and the 87 GSXR 750 used 33mm. The 34mm carbs work well on my 750, but I am running 802cc with stage 3 cams and other goodies. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

The '92 750 carbs would probably be the best choice. The spacing should be the same. I'm not sure if that was the same year they were almost identical to RS flatslides with accelerator pumps or not. But about that time Yoshimura was making some very trick parts for the carbs they were running in Supersport classes. Since you can only run a jet kit in stock carbs they did a little cheating. The slide needles were replaced with hollow tubes with tiny nozzles drilled into them so as the slide raised more and more holes were exposed to airflow. Fuel delivery was actually through the tubes. They got great atomization out of these things. It might be tough to get your hands on a set, but it might be worth a try. Otherwise look around for a set that look like the RS carbs.

Comment

The choice of carbs is much a question about how you use your bike and what you want from it. The suggestions above are not bad. It?s more up to you and how much money you want to spend.
              Just to let u know, the intake port in the 1100 head is app. 33mm in diameter so anything between 33mm (MIKUNI Smoothbores) up to 34mm(GS(X)1100F(KATANA)-88) but 36mm works too(GSXR1100, RS36)
              Made u confused? It?s a jungle out there

Comment

Working...
              X