preserving the paint?....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

preserving the paint?....

Just finished painting my 750E thanks to this site and the step by step instructions offered to complete the project. Didn't come out perfect because I'm not an experienced painter, but it does look great, no runs and the shine is beautiful. Stock was silver with red and orange pinstripes, the new color is metallic midnight blue.
    Anyone have any tips on making the color and shine last that may help me keep her looking great? I don't leave her out in the rain, and I wax her to protect the paint, but if anyone else knows of a product or a process that may help to extend the life of a new paint job, I love to hear it. Thanks for the help in advance, and anyone looking to paint their bike, I would highly recommend the info found here. Really helped me do a good job. You get the results you want for the price you can afford. (cost me about $75) Dominick.........

Dominick, I did the same as you, and got a paint job that I was really pleased with. My problems came when gas spilled on the tank, and ate away the clearcoat where it touched. When it happened again, after filling the tank too high, and the gas spilling backwards when I left the station, it made bubbled streaks all across the tank.

I have to re-paint the tank.

Your clearcoat may be good against gasoline spills, but accidents happen, and you should ask before it sees any spills.

I would strongly recommend that you contact the paint manufacturer and ask about a compatible clearcoat that it impervious to gasoline.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

You can get clear plastic stickers to put on the gastank where your zipper rubs up against it. If you have a metal zipper or button down there you'll ruin the pain. I have several long scratches in my paint due to this.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X