swingarm on 83 750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swingarm on 83 750e

i am interested in puting a wider swingarm/rim-tire on my bike and so i would like to know about sproket alignment will the motor need to be moved also (offset) to keep the sprokets in line or ???????????.the fabrication i can handle but my technical knowledge as far as bikes go is somewhat limited and i just dont know what i can get away with thanks mark

You can get offset sprockets, the trouble is the frame gets in the way of anything over about 1/4" offset. That should be plenty though for a 4.5" wheel with a 160 tire. You can either stack up the lock washers that are used to keep the sprocket nut from loosening to get some offset or do what I did. I ground down an old sprocket to give me maybe 3/16". That gives you room for the sprocket to catch the splines as well as the washer.

Comment

A moderate increase can be gained by using a 3.5 in. rear rim off a mid 80's GS1150E. This 1 inch increase over stock will mount a 140 rear with no other mods required-the spoke pattern even matches. My 83 750ED is pumping app. 110 hp with an 802cc motor and a 140 provides plenty enough grip when using a good soft rear tire. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Hey Old School,
        Ever thought about making the hill country ride with us?

Comment

Yes I have, Motodan filled me in but are you guys gonna ditch me if I show up on my TL1000S? My GS750ED is torn down for probably about a year. It needs bottom end work (crank and rods) in addition to a clutch basket and some other goodies. It will be back on the road not soon enough. I will keep you guys posted. BTW< I am up in Frisco, TX. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Not at All
            We even let a Hardley ride in october :twisted: . There was also a cbr600 f3, and a blackbird. Come along and have some fun. A whole group of folks are coming down from N. TX together, you could ride with them....

Check out these pics; http://www.hispl.50megs.com/photo2.html

-Tim

Comment

Working...
            X