Does anyone know the paint codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know the paint codes?

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get the factory paint codes? I have an '81 gs 1100e (blue) and would like to paint my replacement side cover to match the bike. I'm not even sure what they call this color (it's an unusual shade of blue). Was also wondering if anyone knows of aftermarket vendors that can duplicate the original stripe decals (apparently you can't get them from Suzuki anymore). Any help would be appreciated.

I was surfing the other day and came across some paint codes for GS Suzuki's. I am not sure if they are "Factory codes". I only took a quick glance at the page but it looked interesting. Hopefully it helps. Below is the email addy and some info on how to get around in the site.
    The site is in German, but they explain how to go to a site and paste the web address in it and it translates it for you, its really simple.

Once you translate the site to english so you can read it. You will see a link for Tips (spelled Tipps), click on it.
    Then scroll down the page and you will see "Equiptment", under that you will see "Lacquer Finish". Once you click on the "Lacquer Finish" link, you will see the codes I am refering to.

There is also a link underneith the listed paint codes for a dealer that sells paint. Maybe and hopefully this info will help you. Good luck.

As far as the pinstriping goes, I think it would look sweet if you had someone handpaint the factory stripes on.

J.C.
    80' GS1100E

Comment

If you have Auto paint supplier near you they probably have a photospectrometer. Sherwin Williams calls theres the "color eye", i think, and it takes sort of a 3-D reading up close to the paint, then they hook it up to a computer data base and it searches for the closest match. They are surprisingly accurate. When we painted the Nazareth tour bus a few years ago, this was the only way we came up with a match...it turned out to be some funky mix of a not so popular red mixed with a bunch of other stuff. PPG and Dupont have there own versions of the "paint camera", but last I new Serwin williams was the only one with the 3-D type technology

Comment

- Thanks for the help y'all! It was going to drive me nuts, running around with one flat black side cover ( I know there's more important stuff), maybe I'll be able to get it matched/ painted. Appreciate it.....

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, but if you want a good match on any motorcycle paint you will have to go to a leading manufacturer of paint such as Dupont, PPg, Sikkens, or BASF. all of these paint suppliers do have the latest technology hell back 15 years ago when I took a paint refresure course BASF had the equipment back then. At current no motorcycle manufacturer has the paint formulas accessable to the general public, so your (3 d paint Camera / scaner) is your only option. as you already know your bikes paint is a base / clear. In one of your previous messages the autor sugests the same, he is very correct with his statement.
          Good Luck. Archie

Comment

Working...
          X