help carbs slip back in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help carbs slip back in

I had to take out and put in my carbs several time this winter and after a long fight the first time I could see that the edges of the rubbers were hanging up. I took a dremel tool sander and chamfered the inside of the mouth of the rubbers - a little lube and the carbs slipped right in.

If its the cold that is making them difficult to work with you could use a lighter to warm up the rubber. I used to do this all the time when putting the gas lines on my snowmobiles. (just don't make the mistake of using a lighter to look into a dark gastank)

Steve

Comment

A hairdryer might be a little easier and safer unless you're taking a bath at the time.

Comment

There is already a thread on this subject somewhere, heaps of good ideas like R.T's on it as well!
        Now to find it ......... :roll:

cheers katana

Comment

I just used a little armor all.

I didn't want to mess em up by altering them, or degrading the rubber. I figured that armor all would be nice to the rubber, and it made the carbs slip right in. Its kind of like KY for your manifold boots

Comment

Liquid dishwashing soap works well too. Just put a little on the end of your finger and rub it on the edge of the rubber.

Comment

Re: I just used a little armor all.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
              I didn't want to mess em up by altering them, or degrading the rubber. I figured that armor all would be nice to the rubber, and it made the carbs slip right in. Its kind of like KY for your manifold boots
              I am not sure that armor is the best thing to put on rubber. It has been my experience that armor all will leach the oils out of some plastics and may do the same thing to rubber. I usually use silicone spray.

Mike

Comment

Silicone lubricant spray, and a hairdryer. Spray the boots, let them "dry", then heat them with the hairdryer until they're warm to the touch.

The difference is unbelievable.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Mike has a very valid point. Armoral will do the job, but it doesn't go away when the solvent evaporates, and is likely to cause long-term damage to rubber and plastic parts. My experience is that it does cause damage. It is a highly-overrated product.

The silicone spray works very well on most rubber items
                  "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                  Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

slip those carbs in

I have found that a golf ball pushed into the boot opens it up and a small amount of WD 40 is the bomb.

Comment

a little bearing grease goes a long way.. dont use too much of any additives as air will leak past giving you false lean/rich reading.

Comment

Working...
                      X