Cleaning rust away -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning rust away -

Any acid will work, but I just use white vinegar for cleaning gas tanks and so forth. It's cheap, easy, and won't hurt you.

It will also work for water cooling systems too. About 50/50 mixed with water - let it run for an hour. Repeat until drain water is pretty clear.

For gas tanks it takes between an hour for slight surface rust, and over night for heavier rust. Straight vinegar will work faster, but it starts to get a bit expensive with a four or five gallon + tank. <g>

You can also soak (or simmer <g>) rusty tools, bolts, nuts, and parts in it too.

Unless they leak, I wouldn't line a gas tank. Just clean all the rust out and then keep it full of fuel.

Just a few thoughts.

PHM

When using vinegar in the atnks do you just fill it and let it sit, do you shake it around.... and how do you get EVERY last drop out.

I just dumped some old gas out of my tank but could not get the last little swishy sound out.

Comment

GS77 Just remove the petcock and drain out as much as you can.Then use a cloth rag to get the rest out.

Comment

Vinegar? Seriously? This really works?

Does this work as well as Rustol in getting out rust from inside the tank?

Rudi

Comment

vinegar

.......i like some on my fries, too........

Comment

I tried the white vinegar, full strength, sat overnite, total of 16 hours. I must have done something wrong as it did nothing. Looks like I'll go back to the kreem stuff. Works everytime.

Comment

Re: vinegar

Originally posted by jonathan smith
              .......i like some on my fries, too........
              I learned to do that in canada. Great on chicken too. And I always thought that vinegar had to be mixed with olive oil and oregano.

Comment

You can also try toilet bowl acid cleaner at Lowe's. Got to be fast with it and don't let it sit too long. Unless you Kreem it, you will never get ALL the rust out. Get it as good as you can and then put a clear in-line fuel filter on it so you can see if some more trash is coming out of the gas tank. Kreem is pretty expensive too!!!!

Comment

Can you do this with the petcock in the tank? Or do you have to remove it and block the hole some other way?
                  Vinegar seems like it might be leftover in the tank once you empty it out.
                  Does it all come out or will some be left in there when you fill the tank up with gas?

Dm of mD

Comment

To get more water out try adding Methylated spirit to the tank after you have drained and shook out as much water etc. as you can , Mtho will mix with the water you then drain it out too and the bit left over will evaporate.
                    Dink

Comment

Working...
                    X