a few questions about my stock airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few questions about my stock airbox

Right now I have a filter box that spans all four carbs (79 GS 1000), but I imagine from it's design it pretty much acts like a set of pods. I bought two bikes to make one. I did get the stock airbox but not the filter assembly. I do not want the original assembly.

I am thinking of using an open ended cone filter for an aftermarket car intake. The same one used on all the civics. The open ended style is the key. You get a real deep whooosh sound at WOT. Besides the stock airbox would be useful if I want to get retarded and give her a little dry shot later.

So what does everybody think? Has anyone done this?

Intakes

DJ:

So let me get this right you want to put a cone style filter inside the airbox where the factory element was? If you do this chances are you won't hear it. The airboxes are designed to cut down on intake sounds.
    But if your going to fabricate something so all four go into you filter and it is "exposed", rather you have the ducting only and you can see the filter....well it will look kinda funky.....but you will get that whoosh your looking for.
    The real cats meow is the four individual pod style filters.....you'll have to rejet, but it IS the best way!
    Rick.............

Comment

I have the big black plastic airbox that hooks to the carbs. I do not have the filter box. I am going to put the cone filter above the battery.

Comment

dj this is the recommended way to do it , remove the airbox but Not the plenum and replace with a single larger pod. Several people in the forum have done this with very good results, whereas the age old individual pods have ended up being a nightmare for most. The GS series seems to like a little restriction on the intake side.
        Dink

Comment

air box

I use all stock air box & plenum on my 1000, with a K&N filter. Attempting to run the bike with the lid off the air box causes near impossible drivability, way too weak!! So beware, careful jetting will be required to prevent the lean burn. I am interested in hearing whether there is a performance gain by utilising a 'Civic' cone filter taped to the plenum, disposing of the air box.

Comment

DJ,

Send a PM to Slopoke to find his posts on how his filter is set up. Keith Krause has pods and his bike runs very well. I just about have mine tuned in with pods. I like the seperates for the looks and the easy access for carb removal. I believe Scotty's method is as good performance wise. He might be giving up a little bit on top end but retaining the air box lets you keep the rubber velocity stacks that are inside it. These make a big difference on acceleration.

Steve

Comment

Everybody here has the right idea. I'm working on kind of the samething. I was thinking about puting one of those types of filters off a four cylinder car on my bike, but found that the ones I looked at were huge. I've never seen a Gs 1000 before, but are you sure one of those filters would fit?

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth,
              Moonshine

Comment

I actually have one on my car. I tried it and it is about 3/4 of an inch too wide at the base to fit between the frame rails. I am going to look for a slightly smaller one.

Comment

Originally posted by dj turnz
                  I actually have one on my car. I tried it and it is about 3/4 of an inch too wide at the base to fit between the frame rails. I am going to look for a slightly smaller one.
                  iom also looking doe a car filter to replace the K&N stocker that i have om my bike now. I enlarged ther hole in the air box Ill attach a link with a little bit of waht i am fooling with. Plesse post the car vilter(make model etc )) when you find one that works.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

I recently purchased a 1980 GS850GL with 13,000 miles on it. The bike was in great shape with the exception of the airbox which was terribly rusty and the velocity stacks were hard and cracked on the carb side. Unable to locate a replacement airbox I decided to go with a set of K&N pods. After re-metering the carbs I was still not happy with mid range performance. I decided to cut the carb side flange off of the velocity stacks and insert them into the pods. Boiling them helped to make them flexable and they fit perfectly although the horn sides became slightly oval. Positioned properly, the clamps that hold the pods to the carbs also hold the velocity stacks in place. After running the bike on an exhaust analyzer I dropped the jets from 132.5 to 130 and the bike runs much better than my totally stock 79 GS850. Mid range performance improved greatly as did acceleration throughout the RPM range. Even with the stacks inside the pods, there is still plenty of room for airflow and they perform as I had hoped. Has anyone else tried this approach?

Comment

Hacked Air Filter Box 1978 GS750

I put a set of 29mm Smoothbores on my bike and it was running rich to the point it was missing. I took the stock air box off, cut open the bottom where the snorkel is I took out as much as I thought I could safely and still get the end covers on. This leaned the bike out enough that I have to hold on to the handlebars really tight. My 150 butt slides back in the seat until I run into the little bump and the seat that stops me. This is just my 2 cents worth, this worked great for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X