Dead bike that wasnt so dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead bike that wasnt so dead

I had just got my 85 gs700 last summer. It was my 2nd year of riding , and 2nd bike that I have owned. I started off for a city that was about an hour away. When all of a sudden my bike seemed like it died. When I came to a stop the bike was still running but not good and when i gave it gas it just wanted to die out. Somehow while leaning over the bike and looking at spark plug wires ect, i hit the blinker button, and the bike proceded to run smooth! So I flicked the blinker off ready to ride somemore. HOwever turning the blinker back off sent it back to idle ruff and no gas... SO i drove back home the 1/4th mile with the blinker on. I took the seatcover off to find one of the tools I had put back in the tool compartment wich has no cover was laying accross the positive terminal. The boot somehow fell off. Anyway So I moved that away and decided to check the fuses. Sure enough the main was blown. Put a new one in and she ran great. But it leaves me with a thought for the rest of you , is this normal for it still to run and is the blinker circuit sort of a back up option if your main does blow?

that is really weired!! I will have to do some serious brain crunching and review my wiring diagrams to "TRY" and come up with a explanation for that! 8O :? 8O :?

Comment

ok, I have done some headscratching and if a gs700 is wired like a 850 to 1100g then power flows both ways through the main (15amp) fuse.
      shorting out the positive terminal of the battery alone wont blow the fuse, the sudden large drain however will cause the charging system to attempt to keep up exceeding the fuses capacity, this caused the fuse to fail, the bike is capable of continued running after the main fuse blows because the regulator sends its output into the main system power wire after the fuse.

how the turnsignals factor into this still evades me, but give me a while and I may figure it out. Need to sleep on it)

I would recommend that you test your charging system to make sure that no damage was done to the stator or regulator/ rectifier.

Comment

Looking at my wiring diagram I don't see how power could have been channeled back to the ignition circuit from the turn signals. The headlight, signals, and ignition fuses are all fed from a single circuit that gets power from the ignition switch hot wire. Once your main fuse blew everything should have been dead. The previous owner must have something wired wrong.

Comment

Wrong , it may have been but im glad it was that way for that night casue i got home with out having to service on the road! lol. After that incident i have ran it alot and it sat this winter and started right up, however its now for sale , found out the timing chain is streched and some or teh sprockets it rides on need replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by amicibledigit
            Wrong , it may have been but im glad it was that way for that night casue i got home with out having to service on the road! lol. After that incident i have ran it alot and it sat this winter and started right up, however its now for sale , found out the timing chain is streched and some or teh sprockets it rides on need replaced.
            You can only sell it if you replace it with another gs. (that is the unwritten code of ethics for a gs'r)

Comment

Well, im looking at a gs500 but its pushing my money issue right now.. I have found a salvage yard that has a antoher bike like it same year, he is checking on engine condition. But when it comes down to it...... i love to ride, so whatever i can get it get. But the GS has done me well........ and id take another one if the price is doable

Comment

I'm betting somehow the circuit was channeling through the blinker relay since the main one was broken. In the three years I spent diagnosing and correcting all the damage to the fried electrical system on my GS, I noticed several strange occurances like that. Once when the fuse box basically melted after riding home from a 200 mile trip on it, noticed that after it died I could only get it started again if i ran it without the headlights. As soon as I put the lights on it would die. did some quick rerouting of a couple of fuses that were still intact and shut off the light switch and managed to make it the last 3 miles home.

Comment

Amicible
                  To me having to replace some camchain sprockets doesnt sound like a good reasonn to sell the bike, unless you also have to replace the crank one, although how you can tell that with the motor together escapes me. I am curious as to why you would want to sell it instead of fixing it, please explain?!!
                  Dink

Comment

Working...
                  X