GS1100GL fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GL fuel tank

Can anyone tell me if I can put a larger tank on this bike? For instance... would a tank from a GS1100 GK fit the GS1100 GL?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom

LOL Carbon copy man

I wish I wouldve seen your post before posting mine. It has almost the same wording looking for the exact same thing. Still looking myself Ill let you know if I find the answer.

Comment

I suppose you could make one fit - but I don't believe it's a direct bolt on - the frames on those 2 bikes are different and so are the tank mounts themselves ... 8)

Comment

Not a direct bolt-on swap.

Comment

GK gas tank

Anyone have a gk gas tank they could get some pics of the mounts from.
          I will take and post some from the gs1100gl Im curious of the differences and how much work it would take.

Comment

Here are pics from a gs1100GK tank. I no longer have the tank however. Sorry.

Chris.

Comment

GK GAS TANK PICS

Hey chris thanks for posting the pics. Im comparing them to my gl tank right now seeing what is different. May be worth it to modify.
              And just to verify what size was that tank. It looks simular to my 4 gallon.

Comment

From what I could tell when I tried to put the thing on my bike was this. The very back of the tank on the GS has a deaper denting in it than the gk does. If you could dent the underside of the tank up enough (and shave a bit of the mounting rubber off on the frame) you could get it to line up. I had a Brand new NOS tank though and I thought it was a shame to try to dent it, so I resold it to a guy with a GK instead.

Comment

Denting a new part

Hey chris thanks for the info,
                  Denting a brand new tank doesnt sound like something I would want to do. But I may try to find one used to try.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Just bought an '80 1000GL with a larger non-stock tank on it. I've seen this tank on other Suzukis. Could be a GK tank. It's kind of a rectangular cap on the right side of center, more angular tank than the L-model tank. There are two obvious mods to the bike, presumably to make the tank fit. First, the rubber bumper under the tank is missing. Second, the mounting studs on the front have been removed, and new studs have been built a little further ahead, I think.

Michael

Comment

The larger tank

How many gallon is this larger tank?
                      Could you get pics of it or at least look at Chris's pics listed at the site above to see if it is the same.

I would love to get a larger tank for mine but It just started running like crap with the good weather lately. So the tank will have to wait.

Comment

Working...
                      X