Cold start woes? Check those coils!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold start woes? Check those coils!

Just changed the coils & wires on my 79 GS 750E. What a difference! The bike started instantly. Thanks to this site, I saved a lot of time and $. If you have similar problems, check those coils.

Terry

What kind of coils did you replace the original ones with and how much were they?

Comment

Al
      I used a set from a parts bike. They were only a year old. They're gray nippondenso coils, probably stock replacement. What you should use depends on your bike. My bike has points ignition, so the coils are different from electronic ignition bikes. If your bike is newer than 1979, chances are it has electronic ignition. Dyna Ignition offers a bunch of different coils. Check 'em out at http://www.dynaonline.com/english/coils.htm The cheapest I've seen a set is ~ $ 120.00 US. Hope this helps!

Comment

It seems like every picture I see of a Dyna coil has the terminals exiting at an angle on the sides, whereas the ones on my bike come straight out the bottom. Is there enough room for the Dyna to fit under there like that, or do they make one with the terminals coming out the bottom?

Comment

The outputs on the Dyna coils should be pointing down when mounted on a GS. This shouldn't be an issue. I hope to get my hands on a set soon. When I do, I'll post the results.

Terry

Comment

Working...
          X