Best tires for a 1978 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tires for a 1978 GS1000

I'm about to acquire this bike after an eighteen-year storage period. The tires are at least that old and will need to be replaced. Anyone have any opinions about the best rubber for this old beast?

Thanks
    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

I am personally really fond of Metzeler tyres or Bridgestone dual compounds.
    Dink

Comment

I personally love Bridgestone BT45's, they would have to be the best handling tyre I've used since the demise of the old Pirelli Phantom of the early '80s. I've fitted them on all my GS bikes (1 x 750 and 3 x 1000's) and they've improved handling, braking and tyre life at least 50% over everything else I've used.

Oh, and they are cheaper than some of the fancier brands on the market. Sort of like the difference between Koni and Ohlins shocks. One is good and reasonably priced, while the other is good and horribly expensive. (as opposed to a pair of Marzocci Strada's I bought years ago, they were horribly expensive and crap to boot!)

Having said that, I haven't used Metzlers on any jap bikes I've owned, but they would have to be the worst tyre I ever put on a BMW. I had a K100RT and a R100RS and I just thought they were bad handling bikes until I couldn't get Metzlers a couple of years ago and bought the Bridgestones on my dealers advice, and the old boxer was transformed! For my money, I'd say buy the Bridgestones and spend the rest on something usefull, like good Bourbon.............

Comment

i'm happy with my bridgestone spitfires, i was rideing with a guy in the rain the other day who had metzler's and he was sliping, my spitfires were sticking nice.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I like Dunlops.
          I'm running GT501's and love em!

Reasonable prices, wear like iron, and good in the wet.
          Oh yea, they're bias ply, not radials.
          I'm old school

Keith
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Bridgestone Spitfires are excellent tyres for the GS bikes. Excellent wet weather performance, really confidence inspiring. In fact, my last accident on the GS1000 was caused by switching to another brand, then losing it in the wet when I thought I could go just as fast as on the Spitfires. The only complaint I have with them is they tend tend to wear down to a triangular profile - I find that causes some unnerving handling traits. That could just be a result of the roads I ride and my riding style though.
            I have also just started using Bridgestone BT45s and can find nothing wrong with those either. Haven't tested them in the wet though!

Comment

Patrick welcome to another Aussie, and a GSX1100EF owner at that !!! I am Dink from near Armidale in NSW, surprisingly enough I also have a GSX1100EF(for some weird reason they call 'em GS1150es's here ) enjoy and I am glad to see you are happy to join in.
              Dink

Comment

Personal choice and road conditions play a big part in tyre choice.

You cannot go wrong with the BT45s, they stick well wet or dry. I did find the front tyre chopped out a bit too quickly (7,000kms), looked like it had been in a race! Perhaps not up to the weight of the GS1000 when pushed.

The spitfire I had on the back was ok, a bit hard for my riding, lacked grip on cold roads when pushed. Life was average considering it was a harder compund tyre (11,000kms)

Currently I run an Me33 Metzler, excellent road tyre, good steering and grip, first ride was on on a trip in the wet on mountain roads so it is good in the wet as well! Just put a GT301 Dunlop Arrowmax on the back, seems to grip well in all conditions (at least until you go off the edge!) Life is unknown.

I can only put on 110/18 and 130/18 tyres on, so choice is a bit limited.

Comment

BT45's, you can't beat them. Better than the Metzelers in my view, remember to run them at the right pressures; 36 and 42.

I can vouch for their wet performance!!

Metzelers are OK though. (ME33 /ME55)

Continentals are OK and underrated (TKV11/TKV12)

Comment

Thanks

. . . for the replies. I've used Metzelers on my GS750, so I think I'll try the Bridgestones on the 1000.
                    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

The Bridge's are decent, I have no complaints at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X