I wish I knew this a long time ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I knew this a long time ago.

OK, maybe some of you know this but I didn't so I'm sharing it. I have seen carbs that have sat for many years ruined because screws would strip out rather than come out, especially airscrews. After I drilled out the plugs on a set of carbs for a 650 this weekend and before attempting to remove them I decided to try something a little differant. I took the heat gun and heated up the area areound the airscrews real well, hot to touch, then filled each hole with liquid wrench and let them soak for about an hour. The screws almost removed themselves, not really, but they came out just like they were just put in last week. I'm assuming heating the housing allowed the liquid wrench to run down the threads as it axpanded and allowed them to come out extremely easy. This is the only way I will ever remove them from now on. Try it you'll never do it another way.

Thats a good un Bob I think I will note it
    Dink

Comment

wd-40 does the same thing I learned that while using a hole say kit.. got a slug stuck in a way tooo hot sleeeve and sprayed it w/ wd-40 dern thing about flew out.....works w/ bolts too

Comment

I believe the factory put thread lock on them. Heating the screws breaks the bond

Comment

Working...
        X