Check your nuts!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your nuts!!

I had just finnished the total restoration of my third project (1980 GS 1000g), poked & prodded then jumped up & down in it, all seemed ok, kitted up, went out for the 'shakedown run'. No engine parts replaced as it was so nice, a couple of accelerating & braking sessions, then a 'blast' 70, 80, 120, then I remembered my age!! upon slowing down, everything locked up solid!! clutch in, still skidding at about 70 or so, managed to keep it all together down to about 10 mph when I dumped it into the grass bank!
    Everything still solid when it was brought home, but it ran ok, but stalled as soon as put in gear, :? pulled clutch, all ok, pulled rubber boot (shaft drive) output bevel ok & shaft just moved so box was ok too.
    went to rear hub, oh oh, no drain plug, What yo-yo forgot to tighten up the drain-plug? A great deal of time & effort went into removing the now welded bearing. lucky fo me the bevel gears were perfect, so I just had to replce the taper bearings, blue & re-shim the rear hub and all is now well again!
    I concider myself extremely lucky to have got away with it & have learnt a humbling lesson. this time it cost me a nice new screen (which I bought a week earlier), but the engine bars & givi full rack saved the new exhaust system & engine.
    There is a serious moral of course, don't just look at your nuts, FEEL THEM!!
    Ride safe, guys

Lawrie

There is a serious moral of course, don't just look at your nuts, FEEL THEM!!
    8O 8O :twisted:

Comment

Comment

lets see,,,,one,,,,two,,,three, yep all acounted for!

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          Another Texan bragging

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
            Another Texan bragging
            .....or possibly another example of the deficiencies of a Texan education.....Focus is probably counting toes and reached his numeric limit.

Comment

Well....when you're short one or two, you're short.

Of course, if you're a Texan, and you are short, this could be serious.

Wait a minute.

Cows have four. Bulls have two.............. three is

:? :? :? :? :?
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Waters
                Another Texan bragging
                .....or possibly another example of the deficiencies of a Texan education.....Focus is probably counting toes and reached his numeric limit.
                Could he possibly live too close to a nuclear power plant ?? :roll:
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler

Could he possibly live too close to a nuclear power plant ?? :roll:
                  now that you mention it, Camanche peak nuclear power plant is about 20 miles away, and I worked there for a couple months. :?

Comment

Another Texan bragging
                    Like normal :twisted:

Comment

I think the easiest nuts to lose on a GS are the ones on the bottom of the fork tubes. I've had to loctite them on my 400 as a temporary measure as I plan on wiring them on. They've loosened on my 1100 and one has fallen off of my 400 while the second was ready to fall off.

Steve

Comment

I wonder if there's a bit of wear on the stud thread or the nuts? On all 5 of my GS's i've used new stainless studs, H/Duty spring washers & nuts, nothing has ever come loose. My problem was not tightening them up in the first place

Comment

Working...
                        X