ABS Fairing Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS Fairing Repair

Okay folks all of that busted ABS stuff can be fixed, fairings, side covers,body plastic, etc. To fix my fairing I used Oatey Black ABS cement (Thanks Ron) and some thin fibreglass cloth I have laying around. The cloth is a single layer not a mat like they sell in the repair kits. I think it is better because you can get more layers without much buildup. I used a method similar to doing fibreglass, cut the cloth, apply a layer of glue push the cloth down into it,allow to dry a few minutes, apply another layer of glue over the top. Keep adding layers, crossing the cloth until the proper thickness is built up. If you need to fill holes or replace missing areas just hang the cloth out with glue on it and once it skins over you can shape it by bending if needed. To get a smooth finish just build up layers of glue then sand down to shape desired. I also made some thicker filler material by using MEK (Thanks Earl) to desolve some shavings I took off an ABS pipe, this stuff was stringy compared to the glue but it worked the same way. I have a lot of the fibreglass cloth leftover if anyone feels the need, feel free to send me an instant message or email. This really works well I think my fairing is stronger than when it left the factory because I reinforced the inside and all of the mounting points. I had the best luck with building stuff up rapidly in the woodstove heated shop, in an unheated area your drying time will be lots longer. So next time its broke just dive in and rebuild it with glue. Safe Riding, Bill

Re: ABS Fairing Repair

Glad to hear that worked for you, Bill.

Just to add a bit of safety advice to your story:

If anyone is going to work with any MEK product (Methyl-ethyl Ketones) be sure to do it outdoors and/or use forced-air ventilation (air evacuation fan) The fumes are decidedly unfriendly to your body and you really do not want it on your skin.

Better to work with it at any time while wearing a respirator rated as good for organic vapours.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Another way to repair ABS is to use super glue to make a bead along the crack, Then sprinkle baking soda on the bead. The baking soda makes some kind of chemical reaction which heats up for just a second or two and them the seam is welded.

(I got this off a camper website, and that person got it off a motorcycle site)

Comment

Originally posted by Jakie
        Another way to repair ABS is to use super glue to make a bead along the crack, Then sprinkle baking soda on the bead. The baking soda makes some kind of chemical reaction which heats up for just a second or two and them the seam is welded.

(I got this off a camper website, and that person got it off a motorcycle site)
        Has anybody ever tried this???

Comment

I did a lot of repair work to my Kat bodywork, as well as a friend's FZR600 I'm painting with a product called Plastex. It's really a lot like the superglue/baking soda method, except it uses some sort of acrylic solvent and actual resin powder. With a little prep work ahead of time, it works amazing. I even replaced one of the little push-in tabs on a side panel with it. Check out the repair pictures on their (rather sad) web site:

Comment

What is ABS?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
              What is ABS?
              a thermoplastic resin called Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS for short).

The black pipe used for plumbing drains is usually ABS

SV

Comment

Originally posted by sv650
                Originally posted by Hoomgar
                What is ABS?
                a thermoplastic resin called Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS for short).

The black pipe used for plumbing drains is usually ABS

SV

Thanks man. Is my S model fairing made of this stuff? Because I was wondering what it was made of?

Comment

Originally posted by sv650
                  Thanks man. Is my S model fairing made of this stuff? Because I was wondering what it was made of?
                  Most likely. The fairings on my Katana are ABS, as are most others I've run into. ABS is nice because it's fairly easily bonded and paints nicely.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I was looking for a way to repair the fairing on my GS 700ES. I will give this a try this weekend.

Comment

ABS

Does anyone know if vetter fairing are made from ABS? and how about KG saddlebags and luggage trunk? Speaking of KG, does anyone know what's a good website to find info on these bags? Need parts for mine, thanks

81' GS 650 GL

Comment

Vetter fairings are definitely ABS. Don't know about KG bags and trunk, but I suspect they're also ABS.

Comment

Re: ABS

Originally posted by zman89
                          Speaking of KG, does anyone know what's a good website to find info on these bags?
                          I may be mistaking, but did'nt KG go out of business several years
                          ago?.... What do the letters KG stand for anyway??

Comment

KG Bags

I really don't know what KG stands for. If vetter is ABS then so are the bags. Thanks

Comment

Re: ABS

Originally posted by zman89
                              Does anyone know if vetter fairing are made from ABS? and how about KG saddlebags and luggage trunk? Speaking of KG, does anyone know what's a good website to find info on these bags? Need parts for mine, thanks

81' GS 650 GL
                              The saddle bags and trunk of the vetter bags is a different and softer plastic than the fairing which is ABS, I repair ABS with 1/8th inch thick ABS sheet I bought from a plastic supplier, I cut out a piece about 2 inches larger than the cracked area, then I place this repair piece in the oven at the low setting till the plastic is soft and pliable (not dripping soft just pliable) then take it out of the oven and place it over the area to be repaired and hold it there till it cools to the exact shape( it hardens rather quickly), then I use a cement I got from a hobby shop that bonds ABS and bond the ABS patch to the back side of the cracked area, or on Vetter fairings I'm forced to bond on the ouside, this process adds strength to the repair. I have kept my Vetter fairing going for years using this process, even repaired my buddies Ducati fairing after it fell over and put a nasty crack in the fairing.

Comment

Working...
                              X